Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2020, 06:47 PM   #11

Deserteagle What peak and range is that in your back yard? I did some surveying one year in Nevada and love love it there. I think that was the first time I noticed experiencing the absence of sound, it’s precious and I still miss that.

I moved from PA (which I love) to central Ohio in 2019 because my son and grandson are here. OK really grandson, son can fend for himself! THIS year I am so grateful to be here- Even doing the first grade online with a 6 yo boy- yeah whose idea was THAT?

There is some remote territory in central PA- the ridgelines run north-south and if I wanted to be found I needed to send coords before I hit some fishing spots there.

Now I have to drive 45 minutes to ride a route with hills but still, would not trade it for anything. Have seen some beautiful land in central ohio from my bike too.

Vandiesel- best wishes to your daughter in USAF- she must be a very smart young woman!

Old 09-17-2020, 01:52 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56 View Post
We're all different I guess...but I just don't understand how anyone could live in a city, much less a city like Portland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56 View Post
As I said, we're all different. Last time anything alcoholic passed my lips was 50 years ago in Vietnam. The only time I eat out is when I'm on the road. So none of that means anything to me.

If you live in Portland you're also living in close proximity to around a million other people, counting all the surrounding communities. When I was at University I participated in a huge study on the effects of living in crowded conditions...and it wasn't pretty. Some of the effects of that in Portland I see on the evening news....last time I drove through Portland I came in from the north and then turned east on US 26. It took 2 hours just to get to Sandy! I don't understand why people subject themselves to living like that.

Give me the remote desert anytime where if I do encounter another vehicle we wave at each other. And at night all I hear is a coyote chorus.

Glad you like the desert. But wish you’d celebrate it without putting down someone else’s home choice. That just isn’t necessary.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:03 AM   #13
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Oh DE lives there for specific reasons I am sure..and for all of us, we should be glad he is...good luck DE, sorry people left you with such a bad taste in your head...but at least your talking to good folks here!

Ps VanD heart warming story and mini-trip report...most kids would party with friends till they left...I think (in my opinion) that must mean you did a good job as a Dad.

Pss My Dad was a radioman (operator) in a B-17 in the USAF. Go Air Force!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:08 AM   #14

Why would anyone think DE is putting people down just because he doesn't agree with them on where they choose to live? The more people I meet the more I like my dog. I would most definitely prefer to live somewhere less populated.

Anyone who woke up today and can't see there are just too freakin' many of us isn't looking very hard or very clearly. I love people, one at a time.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Why would anyone think DE is putting people down just because he doesn't agree with them on where they choose to live? The more people I meet the more I like my dog. I would most definitely prefer to live somewhere less populated.

Anyone who woke up today and can't see there are just too freakin' many of us isn't looking very hard or very clearly. I love people, one at a time.
Thank you!

Not putting anyone, or where they live, down. All I was saying is that I didn't understand how anyone could live in a crowded city - and I also said we're all different. So some people may enjoy crowded conditions.

This all has to do with the OP's first post. He didn't leave the city where he lives and drive to another city for some relief. No! He went out into the desert where he could get away from the crowds and get some peace and quiet. The rest of us on this forum didn't buy our camper vans so we could use them in the cities. We all seek remote locations so we can decompress.

So some folks can tolerate living in the city but need to get out to a remote location occasionally. Me, I found out long ago that for both my mental and physical health, I need to live in the outback all the time. When Henry David Thoreau said "In Wildness is the Preservation of the World" he was speaking directly to me.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:11 AM   #16

Garage
Word to the wise. "I can't understand why people behave this way." IS critcism.

The huge majority of people live in cities. But you really can't understand why? Try harder.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:32 AM   #17

Portland isn't too bad. Crazy rep this year thanks to ... well things outside of the scope of this forum. In 6-7 years looking forward to retiring and hitting the road. If there is anything worth doing/seeing in what will be left in 2026+. Probably checkpoints and all sorts of BS the way things are going. So, day by day is the norm.

Yes, City life is required for WORK. When that is no longer there, would love to live out away from people. A container home base w/ a Van/Camper would be just fine. Lived in a van for a year, a 800 sq ft condo for 20, no stranger to scaling down.
Burt Gummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post
Word to the wise. "I can't understand why people behave this way." IS critcism.

The huge majority of people live in cities. But you really can't understand why? Try harder.
Whoa! Where did that quote come from? I said NOTHING about anyone's behavior!
Old 09-17-2020, 11:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
Deserteagle What peak and range is that in your back yard? I did some surveying one year in Nevada and love love it there. I think that was the first time I noticed experiencing the absence of sound, it’s precious and I still miss that.

I moved from PA (which I love) to central Ohio in 2019 because my son and grandson are here. OK really grandson, son can fend for himself! THIS year I am so grateful to be here- Even doing the first grade online with a 6 yo boy- yeah whose idea was THAT?

There is some remote territory in central PA- the ridgelines run north-south and if I wanted to be found I needed to send coords before I hit some fishing spots there.

Now I have to drive 45 minutes to ride a route with hills but still, would not trade it for anything. Have seen some beautiful land in central ohio from my bike too.

Vandiesel- best wishes to your daughter in USAF- she must be a very smart young woman!
Shot with the van shows Mt Tobin in the Tobin Range. The other photo is of Job Peak in the Stillwater Range.

Pretty familiar with Pennsylvania - spent my first 20 years there. But then I discovered Nevada, courtesy of the US Navy. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven so after Vietnam I came right back here.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:16 PM   #20
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Back to the subject at hand....check these out! We didn't see anybody for days!
UP Michigan
Dempster/Canada
Dalton,AK
Death Valley
Boundary Waters, Uppermost Minnesota
Gravelly Rd, Montana

So many more pics...so many peaceful days with just me, KTG (wife), and our beloved Sporty...And I kinda like Sporty more than dogs or other people best....
Attached Thumbnails
091FCFCF-1DC1-449D-85E5-064262D9472B.jpg   F0B16C26-8EF6-4E38-83D5-1AD3574101B4_1_201_a.jpg   F6011818-9D0C-4197-BCDF-BC267529779D_1_201_a.jpg   E71691E3-0C8A-4467-A19A-579F36C70C13_1_201_a.jpg   49AC2F9F-E3C1-4469-9697-FF545EFD710D.jpg  

833D5D43-B28D-4B24-894C-97C29E6EEDF5.jpg  
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote