Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2020, 09:48 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrull View Post
Sounds good AT. Keep me posted on your plans next year, it seems a long way off but heck 2020 seems to have by pretty quick already.
It's beginning to look like I'll be making a fall trip to Alaska. I don't have a schedule yet, but will likely head out in September, depending on how this whole virus thing shakes out. Stay tuned...................

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
It's beginning to look like I'll be making a fall trip to Alaska. I don't have a schedule yet, but will likely head out in September, depending on how this whole virus thing shakes out. Stay tuned...................
We were thinking of doing Tuk in the fall but don't have enough time. We are considering doing something shorter, like up to Whitehorse instead. As it stands right now, we wouldn't be able to go in AK due to COVID. But yeah things could change, keep us posted.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:47 PM   #113

Cyrull and AT,
Is the border still closed?
So no drive to canada or AK this summer?
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:09 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE View Post
Cyrull and AT,
Is the border still closed?
So no drive to canada or AK this summer?
Someone from the US can transit through Canada if they declare the are going from AK to CONUS or vice versa. Canadians cannot enter CONUS or AK currently for recreation.

We've had a few people stateside that have been circumventing this by declaring they were going to AK to get through the border only to travel around Canada with no intention of going to AK.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:40 PM   #115

Thanks for the clear explanation of the closed border.
I don't think I would stray of course if I had told the Canadians I was traversing Canada to get to Alaska.
I have had several entry issues with the Canadians when entering Canada. It's like they did not have a good nights sleep or the wife is giving them a hard time. I do carry a gun which is permitted and in their computer from numerous crossings.
Had a terrible experience entering at Fort Kent Maine. Canadian border agent took every thing out of closets, drawers etc. Threatened not to allow our entry. Said there was no need for a "protection from animals weapon" there were no bears in that part of Canada. When I explained that I was going to both the Northwest Territory and the Yukon where I have had several bear encounters that really pissed him off. Needless to say my stay in Quebec was shorted lived.
I still love Canada and their people. Just not a fan of Quebec....lol
Old 06-22-2020, 03:55 PM   #116

I also carry a bush rifle, most people in the city have a limited view on firearms though. Border agents are hit and miss. I think your feelings towards Quebec are not alone for many Canadians.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:15 PM   #117

Garage
Quote:
Had a terrible experience entering at Fort Kent Maine. Canadian border agent took every thing out of closets, drawers etc. Threatened not to allow our entry. Said there was no need for a "protection from animals weapon" there were no bears in that part of Canada.
Have crossed there several times. Last two were memorable: First one resulted in a barrage of grilling questions from a man with no humor, and on the return we were pulled aside for an hour while 3 of them toured the van & asked a million questions - turned out they were enamored with the rig. Other than the delay, we all had a good laugh when they came clean about their motivation at the end.

Second entry though turned hostile when we failed to declare a small can of mace my wife forgot about in her purse...even after several sincere apologies we had to endure an extended lecture concerning "weapons". I'm confident we've been "flagged" after that since the return resulted in a thorough search. Seems they've become considerably more serious over the past 5 or so years.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:34 PM   #118

I love our neighbors to the north (as well as the south).
Nice to know i was not singled out and that others have had similar issues. It's also a reflection of the time we live in and the new norm will probably make crossing more difficult. I understand the concern canada has about their own security.
"when in rome do as roman's do"....probably the best attitude to travel with.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:07 PM   #119

Quote:
"when in rome do as roman's do"....probably the best attitude to travel with.
I have always felt that it's a privilege to be able to visit other country's, and what ever rules they choose to enforce on us foreigners is their privilege. I've been delayed at the border numerous times and even if the customs person has been having a bad day, in the end I have always been dismissed politely. Oddly, I now have a NEXIS card that is suppose to get you through quickly, but it seems I now get asked more questions than with just a passport. At least it allows me to get in a shorter line.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:30 PM   #120

The next adventure (s)

We have never been hassled at a USA or Canada land border crossing in our SMB. We’ve crossed in BC, Alberta, and NB. Also in and out of Yukon with a rental truck camper two years ago. Easiest crossings have been the Alaska borders: in and out of Skagway and Top of the World Hwy our of Dawson City. We always have our younger teenage son with us, so maybe we don’t look as suspicious? Although several times the officer asked our son questions, like where we went and did we do any shopping, etc., which I thought was kind of a sneaky way to test our answers [emoji15]
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote