Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2020, 10:25 PM   #121

I also have made many, many crossing across the Canadian border...only issues were in the eastern Provinces.
Like to think they were a result of an officer having a bad day.
I have learned that if they ask how many of something you have you need a exact number ie: do you have any cigars, answer yes, how many 7. Not a few or several. Same with beverages etc etc.
I am more on their radar because of transporting a weapon and my girlfriend is a naturalized Asian which has resulted in more questions and then a need to produce a passport (years ago).
I enjoy Canada and it's people and looking at another Trans Canadian trip to Alaska.
Highcountry 2003, E350 SMB 7.3 4X4

HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:27 PM   #122

AT
I thought NEXIS was for daily crossing
Old 06-24-2020, 09:39 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE View Post
AT
I thought NEXIS was for daily crossing
Obtaining a NEXIS card requires submitting an application, getting a background check and then an in person interview with both US and Canadian officials. At that interview, I was told by a Canadian customs officer that, once the process was complete, I was considered to be highly trust worthy, enough to allow a quick passage through the border with a minimum of questions. He said they would only ask if I had anything to declare, and if not, I'd be on my way, but if they ever discovered I was trying to sneak something through, the penalty's would be severe. Our experience with using the card is that it allows us to get in the Nexis lane which is normally much shorter, but it almost seems that I get more in depth questions now. Perhaps they are testing me to see if I really am trustworthy. You are correct though that most card holders are regular cross border commuters. We cross several times a year, both going to and from Alaska, and for travel within Canada. The card also gives you a pre-check at the airport and that alone makes it worth while.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:09 AM   #124

^ ^ ^
NEXIS allows all the Trusted Traveler program benefits like Global Entry. We've rarely had more than cursory questions entering Canada; often more probing on re-entry to USA.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:55 PM   #125

OK on the NEXIS card.........Like a lot of things I have built in long lines at border crossings.
Also I have no "must be at a certain place at a certain time".
My re-entry into the US has been much smoother than Canada entry. As I mentioned on any given day at any time you get the "bad day" guy that's life. I endure and then proceed on my way........
2003 SMB 7.3, E350, 4X4 Love the open "dirt" roads of the American West.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:17 PM   #126

I was unofficially told I had be flagged when I failed to declare something that I brought across the border. They (Canada Customs) said the timeline for flagging was around "5-7 Years".

For the first 2-3 years, this resulted in increased secondary screenings via land or air crossings. I haven't had any issues since but its been about 10 years since I made that mistake. I've always received more hassle from Canadian Customs than US.