Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2018, 06:03 PM   #31

Garage
Yep, I have.

I'm using the Duraforce Pro (DFP) as a GPS, not as a phone. It will work on my carrier if needed as well if I switch sim cards, but no cell service right now. I have the maps on the phone, no cell coverage needed. I also have the CoPilot app for roads on the phone, US and Canada maps downloaded to the phone as well. I've created tracks, downloaded tracks, etc. on it already. I have the phone in airplane mode and for location services only use GPS. The DFP is also ruggedized and waterproof which makes it great for my motorcycle.

Creating a GPX is more difficult than downloading and using one already done. I've created a lot of routes and downloaded as GPX files over the years. More experienced with routes than tracks. Tracks are a little different than routes with waypoints which is what most Garmins use, except for some like Montanas.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:51 PM   #32

I'll be using 100' of waxed string and 2 soup cans along with my Boy Scout Compass.....well probably not. I'm hoping my Samsung tablet and my offline mapping app will allow addition of the tracks. As for a radio I haven't decided but since I am not licensed a ham setup is out. Like Arctic Traveler and Schultz might say..."I know nothing" about GPS tracking.....yet!
I am planning to take up to 5 days to make the 1300+/- miles from Santa Rosa. My idea is to head east into Nevada then north near Wells up into Idaho continuing north and crossing into Canada at Eastport. If anyone from points south making the trip would like to connect for the trip north let me know. I was last in Banff in the summer of 1985. 1974 Volvo wagon towing a tent trailer with my 2 teenage sons who pouted the entire trip. It was the most stunningly beautiful country I've camped in. I recall finding piles of firewood in most campsites. A Ranger told me the bark beetle had done so much damage the best way to deal with the spreading menace was to cut the dead trees and burn them. So the BC Parks people decided to use the dead trees in the local campgrounds. The ranger also told me this kept campers from bringing their own wood which might inadvertently import beetles from other regions. Pretty smart!
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:35 PM   #33

[QUOTE=Christopher Thwaites;224795]I'll be using 100' of waxed string and 2 soup cans along with my Boy Scout Compass/QUOTE]

I've heard that the wax on the string attenuates the signal, better to use kite string (unless there is lightning in the area)
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:42 AM   #34

Garage
I've used cans and strings before, in another lifetime almost, but I'll leave the best string to you guys.

I'll be at Weldtec Designs in San Diego the last week in May for suspension work and bumpers, and will head north from there. I'd be happy to meet up on the way north somewhere in NV or north.

Could also meet in Winnemucca NV and just take Hwy 95 north.

I do have to find a place to store my motorcycle/trailer during the Roaming Rally. I'll look at Coeur d'Alene for a place. I'm heading to MT and WY after the Rally.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:35 PM   #35

Timing seems good for us meet in Nevada. I haven't settled on a route yet but we can talk about that. As I said I'm interested in a leisurely trip up. My days of driving 500 miles a day are over. Feel free to give me a call. Can you PM me and I'll give you my number?
Chris
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:23 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
I do have to find a place to store my motorcycle/trailer during the Roaming Rally. I'll look at Coeur d'Alene for a place. I'm heading to MT and WY after the Rally.
Your welcome to store it at our place if location works for you. I'm just over the border in Alberta north of Montana. You might being going right by headed to banff.
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:23 PM   #37

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Thwaites View Post
Timing seems good for us meet in Nevada. I haven't settled on a route yet but we can talk about that. As I said I'm interested in a leisurely trip up. My days of driving 500 miles a day are over. Feel free to give me a call. Can you PM me and I'll give you my number?
Chris

I'm good with a leisurely trip up. I don't want to do 500 mile days either if I don't have to, BTDT... PM on the way.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:39 PM   #38

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnty View Post
Your welcome to store it at our place if location works for you. I'm just over the border in Alberta north of Montana. You might being going right by headed to banff.
Thank you very much. That is a generous offer and very much appreciated.

We have to be in Banff on June 11 so it would likely be a day or so before.

PM on the way.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #39

It looks like things are moving forward for the rally. Those folks who are registered should have gotten an email today. Ted mentioned that there is room for one or two more, so if your still on the fence (I'm talking mostly to you REF!) you should register ASAP. Oddly, there are no motorcycles registered, so it's going to be all 4wds, (about 10) Rick, you need to join us......................
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:41 PM   #40

I was procrastinating and finally got all registered today. I was included on the email.
Thanks for the updates!
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote