Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2019, 12:29 PM   #11

Absolutely love that area - very special indeed. Great photos!

Adventure4Vets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:35 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
First image was made with a Phantom 4 Pro. The rest with my Canon 5dsr and likely a 70-200 f2.8L IS II or 16-36 f2,8L II with a Gitzo CF tripod.
Thanks for the info. Those fast lenses sure help to capture these nicely-shadowed compositions. Very nice!
Old 09-02-2019, 04:20 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Thanks for the info. Those fast lenses sure help to capture these nicely-shadowed compositions. Very nice!
Thanks Otter! I use good quality glass. Even though those lenses are fast at wide open, I never use them fully open for landscapes. I do use the 70-200 f2.8 wide open for concert photography and wildlife imaging.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:33 PM   #14

I love that area and am way overdue heading that way. Thank for sharing!

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:04 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Thanks Otter! I use good quality glass. Even though those lenses are fast at wide open, I never use them fully open for landscapes. I do use the 70-200 f2.8 wide open for concert photography and wildlife imaging.
I bet! My only 2.8 is a 100mm macro. I shoot Pentax. My longer lenses are a bit slower.

I’m getting a CCV poptop installed later in the month. Really looking forward to sitting up top and poking a few lenses out the window.

Love your website, great photos. We’re so fortunate to have vehicles that take us where we need to go. Ever been to the Tetons? I’m returning to Oregon that way and planning an overnight stop for a photo shoot, if I’m lucky with weather. It poured the last time I was there.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:37 PM   #16

ADDENDUM: White Mountains
As I mentioned I'm a big fan of the White's. My friend and I have been going there for years.
Always accessed via 168 Deep Springs Valley/Deep Springs College then turned west and traveled on Wyman Canyon road. We hunted rabbits and fished Wyman Creek for many years. We all ways camped at the "beaver ponds" which were below Robert's Ranch. For many years there was active mining on the sides of many of the mountains in that drainage. Dead Horse was about 6 or 7 miles into the canyon and a side road of several miles took you to the meadow. Also a White Mt. "jewel". The rock formations are spectacular. Monsoon rains removed the road and Dead Horse is now only visited by Deep Springs College students tending cattle on their summer range.
Jeffrey you have me fired up and going back to the White's very soon (actually have some of by bud's ashes to spread at the beaver pond).
I just went to Auto Club to get current Eastern Sierra map.
I noticed that the road off of 168 up Wyman canyon has been removed from the map. Anyone know if Wyman Canyon is accessible off 168. The road was heavily damaged (monsoons) my last trip but was passable in 4 wheel drive.
Again thanks Jeffrey for the pic's and motivation.
Are there any issues with the low range 4X4 road into Cottonwood basin?
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #17

Very inspiring photography!

Really great back country images.
parisdakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:29 PM   #18

Garage
Mike, the low range route into Cottonwood is pretty standard. No real tricky stuff. I have not done Wyman in many years. If I had a jeep I would just try it again. You may check in with the rangers or even the local 4x4 club. I'm not testing it with the SMB. I hope you are not still hunting there. I doubt it's legal.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:50 AM   #19

Heading that way Monday or Tuesday....not sure I can fit the White's in. But I have wonderful memories each time I look up at them from 395.
This adventure will be fishing the Sierra's then east across Nevada (another area full of White Mt type terrain). Either Highway 6, 50 or I-80 to Utah's Flaming Gorge area for more fishing. Not a photographer but the mental images are "priceless". Should be the start of fall colors in the high country. Lot's of wondering around.
Will up date when I return.....(in about 2 weeks).
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote