Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2019, 04:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Nice trip report. I thought you had to register with the park to see the falls at that time of year?

No registration required. The Park did issue 200 parking passes to park along the road, everyone else had to find parking within the existing lots.

Lots of traffic, but it was the price that had to be paid. I don't like the crowds, but the reward in this case was worth it.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #12

I've been meaning to hit Pinnacles and just haven't made the run down there yet. Definitely adding it to the list. Thanks for sharing!
Lunatickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:47 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
No registration required. The Park did issue 200 parking passes to park along the road, everyone else had to find parking within the existing lots.

Lots of traffic, but it was the price that had to be paid. I don't like the crowds, but the reward in this case was worth it.

Ah, a parking permit. Yup that was what I heard. Back in the 70's it wasn't like that but yes the chance of sharing with a hoard of people to capture a nice image is something you just have to deal with. I made a mistake going up Half Dome on memorial day. What a zoo.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:42 PM   #14

Right, the 70's... When you could go backpack in the Sierras on the spur of the moment, no advance reservations for wilderness permits required. Or park the van by the side of PCH overlooking the Pacific and spend the night listening to the surf without hassle. Good times!
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
Smog checks on an OBD2 vehicle are pretty drama-free, as long as the check-engine light is off and you haven't disconnected the battery recently. They're a bit more involved on a rig like I have.

.....or if you had the original catalytic convertor fail and replaced with an aftermarket version due to cost. The first smog check after the replacement was not a big deal, but the second time, the smog tech had a hard time reading the numbers on the convertor so told me that this will be the last time this convertor will pass the smog check. Something to keep in mind when I have the "new" one installed.
newoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:24 PM   #16
Orv

Garage
I was worried about that when I installed the new one on my Del Sol. It had big stamped numbers on the heat shield, so I installed it with those facing down. So far no one's ever actually checked them, though -- putting the car on a lift is not part of the smog check at any of the places I've gone.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
I was worried about that when I installed the new one on my Del Sol. It had big stamped numbers on the heat shield, so I installed it with those facing down. So far no one's ever actually checked them, though -- putting the car on a lift is not part of the smog check at any of the places I've gone.

Apparently during the visual check, the aftermarket convertor sticks out like a sore thumb so they have to verify the numbers with the state when they send in the results. I don't blame them. I wouldn't want to jeopardize my business either.
newoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:46 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage
Wow this thread headed a bit off topic.

However it would be nice to make a smog topic thread in the engine and drive train section. I'm very interested about random smog checks that seem to be popping up these days. Actually it freaked me out when I was told about them.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote