Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2023, 04:43 PM   #1

Garage
Trans America Trail must dos?

Hi All,
I'm heading off on the Transamerica Trail at the beginning of next week. Going east to NC from NM and Then circle back west to OR, then back to NM.
I'll generally be following Sam Correro's route ( www.transamtrail.com ) with diversions to see friends, family, etc.

I'll make a big counterclockwise circle and go through NM, OK, AR, TN, NC, VA, WV, OH, IN, IL, MN, SD, WY, ID, OR, UT, CO and back to NM.

Hoping people have some suggestions for things to see or do along (or near) the route. I'm planning on taking my time and exploring.
Thanks!

2016 4wd 144" Sportsmobile Sprinter
2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2
2002 lifted & armored WRX wagon (sold)
velo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 06:29 PM   #2

Garage
Most of these suggestions are relatively close to your proposed route:
Zion & Brice - Angles Landing hike in Zion for the views

If you're in the area, Telluride has a Hot Air Balloon Festival in the beginning of June (2nd to 4th this year), we had a great time years ago. Wasn't able to go up in a Hot Air balloon though - we arrived with no advanced plans in place, ended out driving to Snowmass and lifted off there.

Durango - If you've never done it before I'd suggest carving out a day for the Durango Silverton Train ride. Truly spectacular.
https://www.durangotrain.com/?gclid=...gaAojTEALw_wcB

Nashville can supply some fun evening entertainment (we prefer to reside in the smaller, less commercial bars during out stays). Pretty much everyone showcases talented musicians.

West Virginia - If you fancy a thrill (and are in decent physical condition), you may really enjoy Seneca Rocks - It's a rejuvenating experience, especially when you get to the top and the wind's blowing!
https://www.senecarocks.com/

Northern Virginia & Maryland - from the South East, Blue Ridge Parkway runs into Skyline Drive - both offer great scenery (especially Skyline drive).
https://www.visitroanokeva.com/thing...skyline-drive/

From your Map, Looks like you'll be driving through the Outer Banks...Good choice (make reservations early)

A short detour from that area; If you have interest in Museums, visiting the DC Monuments, and spending time in a Sailing Town (with a drinking problem) I'll gladly extend an invitation to a driveway in historic Annapolis (35 minutes to DC and all it has to offer)...most people don't make it out of Historic Annapolis! Gladly throw in the use of two e-bikes to get you around the area.

Looks like a very fun trip!
Old 05-23-2023, 10:14 PM   #3

Here's a couple of places I enjoyed:
  • Johnny Cash Museum in Nashville
  • Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland
  • Gettysburg battlefield site in Pennsylvania
  • Little Big Horn battlefield site (Custer's Last Stand) in Wyoming
  • Devils Tower National Monument
--Joe
Old 05-24-2023, 05:22 PM   #4

Garage
Great suggestions, thank you both!
Thanks too for the offer, Twoxentrix. My mom and sister both live in Alexandria, so I may be visiting the area. I'll give you a ring if I do. I have no idea when I'll get there, as long as it takes, I guess!

2016 4wd 144" Sportsmobile Sprinter
2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2
2002 lifted & armored WRX wagon (sold)
velo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 05:49 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by velo47 View Post
Great suggestions, thank you both!
Thanks too for the offer, Twoxentrix. My mom and sister both live in Alexandria, so I may be visiting the area. I'll give you a ring if I do. I have no idea when I'll get there, as long as it takes, I guess!
Take your time, and as many detours which present interest...those make for some of the best memories. Invitation stands, reach out anytime.