Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2021, 03:35 PM   #11
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Would love to see pics of the camper top for your Tundra...

I would head over to the coast as quick as possible...fires and heat (sis lives n Redding and clocked 117 degrees in the shade...and the fires...

Gold Bluffs Beach is a HIDDEN GEM in N California...about 15-18 campsites (first come first serve I believe) right on the beach...one lane gravel to get down to, and a little hidden from main entrance, but a MUST if you can find/swing it...I'd follow the coast up and stay along there in state parks (South Beach in WA is another MUST if you can swing it) etc...there will be some boondocking, but the NW Members can help you there....I think this time for the coast simply bc the fires are out of control cutting visibility of mountains and other beautiful sights...not to mention air quality...good luck Eric, can't wait to see pics...right side up to...lolol..and saying that Im pretty sure one will be wrong for me...I can't figure out how to get into computer before uploading...anyway, one day...

1&3 is Gold Bluffs Beach campground (back in the [2nd]MDX days
2&4 South Beach (not best pics, but give you idea of cool campground)
Attached Thumbnails
E92415B8-B230-4527-91C9-1D1524F88D32_1_201_a.jpg   F4A4F4F3-B201-4593-B5E2-25EDE2C66DD2_1_201_a.jpg   72FDB0B5-22E2-4811-8230-AB423F0F650E.jpg   FB8C22E3-5D60-42AD-A8D2-A9FA4531DEDF.jpg  

ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 04:02 PM   #12

Lots of things to look at and places to go....A bit different might be to check out the area via Summer Lake after Reno...Steens Mountain area, Sheldon Antelope preserve is lots of dirt and great exploration....Down south in Nevada Austin area hills....on and on

Update - May have to cross off Summer Lake route due to Bootleg fire, but it is a very interesting area, and the route many Reno car show carriers use from PNW due to the relatively flat profile and historically good road conditions.
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 09:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
Would love to see pics of the camper top for your Tundra...

I would head over to the coast as quick as possible...fires and heat (sis lives n Redding and clocked 117 degrees in the shade...and the fires...
Thanks. We have been up and down the Northern Cali and Oregon coast a few times. I'm hoping to explore some unexplored (for me) territory. I am definitely watching the fires and the weather. Being alone will be unusual for me for a roadtrip like this but I won't have anyone complaining about the heat. If I can stand it, I'll endure it. BUT......all that said, I love the Redwoods. That area is definitely a fallback if I can't traverse more inland.

Here's what I bought:

https://www.superpacificusa.com/
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:21 PM   #14

https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/20...e-hits-west-us

https://wildfiretoday.com/2021/07/11...le-california/
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:28 PM   #15

Garage
https://nvroads.com/
https://www.fire.ca.gov/incidents/
QuickMap

we're in west Reno if you need a place to stop overnight.

if 395 is closed due to the Beckwourth fire, you can always take I-80 to truckee, then north on hwy 89 to hwy 70, then west on hwy 70 to hwy 89, and then north on hwy 89 to Lassen Volcanic National Park and on to oregon.

OR

take 395 to Reno, then I-80 east to Wadsworth, then NV-447 north thru Gerlach to NE Cali and Goose Lake (where there's a really nice campground).

if you want to visit Lake Tahoe from 395, take the hwy 89 turnoff just south of Topaz Lake and stay on 89 all the way thru the south and west side of Lake Tahoe...you could stay on 89 all the way north to Mount Shasta?

for a different route south, you could always head to the interior of nevada and take hwy 95 south.

and check the forum map for breweries (updated) or campgrounds (double-check) or rest areas (double check) or ???
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...ty&usp=sharing
Old 07-12-2021, 06:18 PM   #16

Thanks Chris! I have decided to wait about a week to make formal plans or they will just change daily due to the fires. By this weekend when I'm headed to Vegas I hope to have several different routes mapped out and I'll choose a up route and a back route then. Your offer could come in very handy, I appreciate it!
Old 07-13-2021, 12:36 PM   #17

Did you think about the PCOR? I just posted my trip experience going from Tahoe up to Crescent Lake, close to Bend, Oregon.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post299016

Not sure whether or not you want to do gravel roads... but in general the route takes you from Death Valley all the way up to Portland. Around Mono Lake to Tahoe you'd travel in parallel to 395.

Perhaps on the way back? or only some smaller portions?

Close to Bend is Smith Rock State Park. Some say this is where rock climbing started...

I heard Trillium Lake close to Portland is nice and seeing pictures I can believe it...

And as others mentioned already: Bootleg fire, Sugar Fire, Tennant Fire, Lava Fire, ...A smaller fire just started around Yosemite... Watch out and carry a fire extinguisher!
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-350 View Post
Did you think about the PCOR? I just posted my trip experience going from Tahoe up to Crescent Lake, close to Bend, Oregon.
Thanks, I just read your trip report. I'm not ruling anything out. Thanks for the pointers!
Old 07-15-2021, 10:55 AM   #19
MLD

I would just add that the fire situation for both the Bootleg Fire and the Jack Fire in Southern OR not to mention Beckwourth in northern CA might make the 395 corridor in Oregon unpleasant.

That said, if you can see Crater Lake, Odell Lake/Willamette NF or Clear Lake/ McKenzie Pass area, it’s worth it. Air quality right now is not great near K Falls all the way up to Smith Rock, but that could change day by day.
MLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:41 AM   #20

Garage
I did a similar route last summer, SoCal to Everett WA but headed to Pahrump near Vegas to start the adventure. Drove nothing but 2 lane hwy all the way from Baker CA!

I'd head north towards Pahrump on Hwy 160 and cut over to visit Ash Meadows NWR, amazing springs in the middle of the desert and a reservoir to swim in. Then pop out of there and keep heading north on 127 and on up to Amorgosa Valley and head N on 95 to Goldfield. Interesting old western town and make sure to stop at the International Car Forest just before town. After that, N to Tonopah and cut across on the 6 and 120 back to Mono Lake and 395. Some great camping off the 120 as you near Mono Lake. Also, just as you get to Bridgeport there are some hot springs on the estern side of the hwy down an easy dirt rd, might want to check those out and take a dip. Then head N to Tahoe and enjoy that, maybe go tubing on the Truckee River at the north end of the lake. From there, head to Lassen on Hwy 89. I found some great camping near Almanor Lake on the west side of the hwy. Lassen is awesome, definately hike Bumpass Hell to the fumeroles and perhaps Lassen Peak if you have time. After that I'd head north to explore Lave Beds National Monument. From there you can decide if you want to head back to the west and the 5 or keep going N to Crater Lake and beyond to Bend and Mt. Hood. The lodge at Mt. Hood is where they filmed the outdoor scenes in The Shining, had I know that a year ago I would have gone there too!

That should keep you busy for sure, lots of great stuff to see.
Glenn P. is offline   Reply With Quote