Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2014, 11:51 PM   #1

Trip Report - Lopez Island, WA

Trip Report – Lopez Island, WA – Thanksgiving weekend

We just got our SMB in June and spent 15 nights out in her this summer. So why not try winter camping, after all, we have a furnace and there's no competition for the best campsites! That was our thought as we took off from Seattle on a snowy morning and headed for Lopez Island in the Washington San Juan's. It's just a little under 2 hours to the ferry dock in Anacortes (at least when it's not snowing), then a 35 minute ferry ride to Lopez.

The snow stopped and the sun came out, along with the North wind blowing 35 knots and the temperature dropped into the teens. Now I'm wishing I had drained the water system. On arrival it's just a mile to Odlin County Park where we had our choice of waterfront campsites. There was no one there except the caretaker who was surprised to see us. It's a pretty little park, and totally full all summer long. A pair of bald eagles greeted us with a flyover as we drove in.

Lopez is a very laid back place, everyone waves to everyone as you drive along the narrow roads. There's a small village with a couple of restaurants and coffeeshops, otherwise it's rural and pastoral. After the wind died down we did some great hikes along the rugged cliffs on the south shore. Big views across the water to the Olympic mountains, it was gorgeous. In the summer we would have been out on the water in our sea kayaks, but in late November we were happy to be not far away from our snug and warm SMB. With the sun going down at 4:15 PM here this time of year the big house battery allowed us to enjoy some DVD's. (Bear with us, we're still giddy that we're not tent camping, so videos are a real novelty!)

After 2 nights out we had to return to Seattle and head back to work. But our appetite is whetted for more winter camping adventures.

Attached Thumbnails
Lopez 1.jpg   Lopez 2.jpg   Lopez4.jpg  

sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #2

Re: Trip Report - Lopez Island, WA

Looks like a great trip. Thanks for sharing! I really like Blanca's spare tire cover too.

86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #3

Garage

Looks like winter is already there in Washington..! Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #4

Garage

I've done some camping near Anacortes but I've never taken the ferries to the Islands. Looks like you found a good camping spot.
I've always wanted to kayak in the San Juan's, but like you, preferably in the summer months.

Thanks for the trip report.

Mike
Old 12-03-2014, 10:59 PM   #5

You have given me some inspiration for a trip to the islands. It won't be hard as were only two minutes from the ferry. Thanks......................
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:40 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

That would be so cool. What do they charge to take you out there?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:14 AM   #7
Site Team

Thanks for the report. My wife and I were on the San Juan Islands for the first time in August and loved it. We stayed at the Orca Hotel on Orca Island, but we wished we had our Sportsmobile instead. I never thought of camping there in the winter. Being from Wyoming winter camping doesn't bother me. Hmmmm! Need to think about doing this in the future. When do the masses of tourists thin out? Maybe an spring or fall trip would be perfect.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
That would be so cool. What do they charge to take you out there?
It's the Washington State Ferry system and there are several sailings daily. It's about $45 round trip. During the summer it's real busy, often have to wait for several ferries, but I heard there will be a reservation system in place starting early 2015. This time of year it's only busy on certain weekend sailings.

Vehicles under 7'6" height and 22' length don't pay a surcharge. My wife took the photo below of the Roadtrek Sprinter in front of us in the ferry line to show how much bigger it is compared to our RB-50. Size is only a cost issue on the ferries, these boats often carry full size tractor trailers.

Attached Thumbnails
lopez8.jpg   Lopez 9.jpg   Lopez5.jpg  
sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
Site Team

In August the ferry fee for our rental car to Orca Island was $68. I asked a guy in a commercial Ford van in front of us how much he paid. He paid $102 to go to the same place. Perhaps it's cheaper in the off season. No matter what the price, the trip is well worth it. It is gorgeous!!!
Old 12-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

I feel it would be worth that being I'm spending big bucks to get up there anyway.
And I would like to go there in the off season as well.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote