Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2010, 02:22 AM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray
Trip Report: Mammoth Fly Fishing, Upper Owens & Hot Creek

Took a solo trip to the mammoth area for some fly fishing. Caught an obscene number of fish and beat my own personal record. 30+ fish in 3 hours at hot creek!!!

http://joeraymundo.blogspot.com/2010...oth-soulo.html

jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Re: Trip Report: Mammoth Fly Fishing, Upper Owens & Hot Creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrray
Took a solo trip to the mammoth area for some fly fishing. Caught an obscene number of fish and beat my own personal record. 30+ fish in 3 hours at hot creek!!!

http://joeraymundo.blogspot.com/2010...oth-soulo.html

What do you use for bug control when fishing for Upper Owens?
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray

First off, I always wear long sleeves and never wear shorts when fishing there. Bugs are inherent in fly fishing and they truly love me. I also have gotten around to wearing a neck shade like the Columbia Neck Shades or the Buff ones. I like the Columbia ones cause they work great, are less expensive, and don't have ridiculous looking prints on them. Second, I try to not fish too close to Crowley although the fishing can be good there. Its just way to marshy for my taste. I generally stay on the shore and walk through the dry patches and avoid the wet stuff. Its pretty obvious as its usually a darker shade of green than everything else. Finally, I use some stuff I bought at REI. It comes in a white & green spray bottle. Seems to work pretty good as I usually only have to spray the top of my hands as everything else is covered up.

Its not that hot, actually feels cooler. You can wet the shirt, neck shade and as the wind blows it feels good. And no biting insects!!!

As for camping, I stay pretty far from the water and have never had a problem with insects. In fact this weekend, I left the door open until late and they didn't appear to come in swarms. Just the usual moths.

HTH --

Joe
Old 07-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #4

I spent many happy morning hours in the fall jump shooting ducks on the fingers of lower Hot Creek
jstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:48 PM   #5

Which brings me to another good question -- what is the legality of shooting firearms in that area?
Old 07-16-2010, 01:51 AM   #6
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Which brings me to another good question -- what is the legality of shooting firearms in that area?
I think shotguns only if shooting, and if you do, you should have a hunting license.
Different story if you on welcomed private land.

Thanks for the info on bug control. Just wanted to add that red and amber led lights to minimize the bugs at nights there. Also for those damn hide by day mesqitos in your sportsmobile, I recommend a good cot net works well when they come out of hiding in the van.
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Not sure about hot creek area, but on USFS and DWP land around the upper owens both hunting and shooting are permitted. I think the law requires you to be at least 100 feet from existing roads. Signs posted around Benton Crossing road near Brown's camp specifically state that hunting is legal and I've seen quite a few hunters out there during deer season.

Great trip report. After years of just buzzing by, I also stopped and checked out Manzanar earlier this year. Great facility and a good learning experience. The kids found it fascinating. Highly recommended.
R
Old 07-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #8

Quote:
I think shotguns only if shooting, and if you do, you should have a hunting license.
Different story if you on welcomed private land.
No
There are no restrictions on firearms other than california fish and game and state rules.

Some of the best duck hunting is late season when all the other water is frozen, Hot Creek is still open water. Throw a couple of deeks out and hide in the irragation ditch next to the water. If its snowing its even better.

The deer hunting in the Minneretts is also outstanding (if you are willing to hike to treeline, ~10,500).
jstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:39 PM   #9

So if I wanted to shoot targets I could NE of the bridge on Benton Crossing?
Old 07-17-2010, 02:26 AM   #10

NRL-

This is the repellent I use and I don't get bit when I put this on ahead of time

http://www.tendercorp.com/products.php? ... NTS&cat=59

Its got a pretty decent smell, so if you're hunting or fishing, spray only where needed I suppose. I only spray back of my hands and ears