Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #11

Garage
Re: Trip report: The Mojave Trail

You can focus on specific areas that you liked now that you have done the entire trail. Let me know when you want to go back out.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:33 AM   #12
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by witoke
I did the trail a couple of months ago. The bus is lying on it's side now. Someone playing with a winch I would guess.

The trail is very complicated in places and without it I would have spent a lot of time backtracking and probably getting seriously lost. There are lots of interesting side trips and hikes and I would recommend taking as much time as you can. Beautiful drive but not nearly as isolated as the trail guide suggests.
What a shame. Not that the area was clean but that bus has been there for a long time. I have real time GPS topo maps with the trail pre-marked. No heavy issues on my part but there were a couple of those "that one" over "this one" moments. I'd never say the trail is totally remote but the length is what makes it unique IMO. I was disappointed in the loss of the narrow trail converted into a huge 2 lane road from Government holes to the next crossing point. By far the worst part. But there are lots of other trail crossing it. I also didn't like the bikes and quads. I just wish the main trail was off limits to them. There are plenty of other areas to tear up for fun out there. I had to laugh when a car went wizzing by on a major road that had been there for quite a ways only a few hundred feet away. But if the car wasn't there we wouldn't have known unless looking at the map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
You can focus on specific areas that you liked now that you have done the entire trail. Let me know when you want to go back out.
Maybe next year Ron. You have to register over 6 vehicles IIRC but would have to check. Cellular Steve showed interest. I found the trail relaxing myself.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:56 AM   #13

Garage

great report dave! i never really had any desire to explore any desert regions, but the more reports i see like this one make me realize not all deserts are created equal.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by witoke
I also didn't like the bikes and quads. I just wish the main trail was off limits to them. There are plenty of other areas to tear up for fun out there. .
The main trail is off limits to OHV use as it passes through the preserve. When you refer to the trail being torn up, just remember that ALL that garbage you see along the trail was brought in by 4 wheels, not on a motorcycle. there are @$$holes in every crowd, please remember that we are all on the same team when it comes to keeping ANY motorized access in areas such as this.

That license plate on the back makes it just as much my trail as it does yours.

TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:02 AM   #15
Site Team

Garage

That was my post not witoke's and you took me wrong. When I say tearin up a trail I mean using it as in tearin it up in fun, not destroying it. I think there should be places for all types of off road travel (bikes included) and support off road vehicle parks as well as OHV paths and the like. Just like any off roading, jerks are jerks and there are plenty that FIU for the rest of us. They come in all makes and models. Tipping over the bus is a great example. I doubt bikers did that! My only point is that there are times where I like to see rules like the Mojave trail has restricting groups to 6 vehicles, plated or green sticker and I wish the whole trail was under that rule. Guess I should rephrase by saying I support responsible riding not full restriction of access. In the middle of the night we were invaded by a large group of quads at 1AM. In all the off roading I've done that was a first. Not that big of a deal except if you were trying to sleep. If folks want to run in large packs there are miles of other trails in the area to do so and I don't have an issue with that. We did go into the Rasor off road park to camp but is was busy and dusty so we went to find a little piece and quite. I wasn't bothered everybody was having a good time. Christ, me and Don got obnoxiously belligerent ourselves after a few bottles so we did everybody else a favor and got away from people so we didn't piss em off Get out there and tear it up...have a good time but do so with the correct trail etiquitte, I do. Sorry to ruffle the feathers of my rider friends. Didn't mean it to come off that way.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:50 PM   #16

Re: Trip report: The Mojave Road

Thanks for the pics, what a great trip. Brings back good memories!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:27 PM   #17

Dave,

If you are looking for travel partners we would be interested in making a trip down especially in January or February. We need a break from the grey skies and rain and typically try to do a long trip somewhere warmer that time of year.

Cheers,
John
Old 08-15-2014, 10:44 PM   #18

I'll love to do this trip too, I don't have 4 WD but all looks doable with the Camburg lift, LSD, BF AT, winch...
And thanks for the very nice report and pictures.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:00 PM   #19

I'm in too. I couldn't make it last time but have always wanted to do this.
Great write up as always Dave!!

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:38 PM   #20

Can I tag along?
DIG
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote