Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #71

Re: TWOLOST: Alaska 2008 (trip report)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolost

Map #1

Hi TwoLost --

First, what a wonderful trip report. Great photos, and I really enjoy the format/content of the daily entries, especially the bug reports!

Of course, this is causing me major angst: the 15 months until my departure for Alaska will drag. I wish I were hitting the road in 2010.

Question:
what mapping software or website did you use to create the maps that you've posted? That's exactly the sort of thing I'd like to do for all of my roadtrips.

Next question:
you mention early in this thread about that you ordered many things online to "hang" on the outside of the van. What toys did you order, and would you put the items in the "glad we had that" or "hmmm. not so much" category?

Final question (I promise!):
did you do anything to protect your headlights from rocks, etc? I believe that LenS put a wirecloth mesh across the front of his rig before heading north.

Thanks,
GreyDawg

Old 02-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I think it's more "that rig is really tiny". It's more of Pinzgauer size than a KAMAZ.
It is a Pinzgauer and yes they are narrow...
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:02 PM   #73

Garage

Thanks...

The mapping software that I used to plan and document this trip was Microsoft MapPoint 2006. It takes a while to fiddle around with it to get it to do what you want, but it is possible. I have not updated to anything newer.

I used Garmin MapSource with United States Topo and Canada Topo in conjunction with my Garmin 276C GPS to actually navigate by.

Hanging stuff off of the van. Well, I had a PulPal, a home-made hitch jig with three extra fuel cans (which were empty except for one stretch between Coldfoot and Prudhoe Bay, North bound direction only), a second full size spare tire, and a HiLift Jack. All of this stuff was precautionary and fortunately we were not forced to used any of it.

Of the non-standard stuff we used, there was the diesel generator (which we used to power the StarCool and the microwave while boonedocking) and the lights on the roof rack which were used while rolling down the Dalton in the early AM hours. We left all of the bikes at home for this first run.

As for the stuff we never used... that would be the awning, bug screens for the doors, or the external shower. The shower not so much as we would stay in hotels every few days in order to get cleaned up.

Regarding light protection... for the big aftermarket lights, we had them covered most of the time and there were no issues. We did not cover or protect the headlights or fog lights and we had no problems there either.

Best of fortune with your Alaska travels. We know that we cant wait to go back!!
Cheers,
TWOLOST +1

Cheers,
---Bruce--- (epic-exposure.com/albums/adventure/)
twolost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:20 PM   #74

FWIW, we used our awning quite a bit due to rain on our Alaska trip. We cook and hang out outside the van most of the time and it's good to have a relatively dry area to do that.

Had no protection on our headlights and no problems either.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Awning nights1.jpg  

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:26 PM   #75
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ

How's +1 doing? And of course the two of you? I was kind of thinking that you might come thru with the first 6 month trip report with pictures, grow map, sleep/wake schedule, and of course the fuel matrix (food vs. weight).

Old 02-28-2010, 10:21 PM   #76

Garage

Hahahaha... +1 continues to amaze and enrich mom and dad - daily. True to form, I have been documenting her development via a little side project so that our new daughter has a firsthand account of her early years... without relying on her parents memory. You have provided me with even more ideas now. :-)

We have yet to travel as a family in the SMB yet, but that time is coming. More trip reports to follow for sure - including a return trip to Alaska.

Cheers,
TWLOST +1

Cheers,
---Bruce--- (epic-exposure.com/albums/adventure/)
twolost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #77
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ

BEAUTIFUL, she is absolutely beautiful............................just like her Mom Heh! N Dad too.

I need to thank you again for the Alaska trip report, Thanks. We are using it as the base planning tool for our future trip. Although we won’t make it this year we are going to use it as we scout it out this summer. Plans this year will take us on a four week, June discovery/planning trip up the west coast into BC, maybe even a touch of Alaska. We plan to stay a few days with friends in Bellingham and then I wanted to go east and back down to So cal (home), however my navigator says it’s up the coast tour around and then a somewhat inland return.

We’ll see, I like the more unplanned fly by wire approach this time. Next year I would like to go the road to Prudhoe Bay and then follow a modified version of your trip.....thanks again.

Looking forward to the first baby report........ congrats!

PS. not to be suggestive, but the little fist looks like it’s made for a Dual sport throttle grip.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:51 AM   #78

Thanks +1 for letting your parents share your picture. You sure look cute. Make sure they keep us up dated as to your progress in getting them to take you on a SMB trip. I love their Alaska trip post. Also, tell them we need a picture of you at least once a year if not sooner.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote