Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #11

Re: TWOLOST: Looking for UT trip advice

This is all my backyard. Where to begin...
In fact, I'm headed there tomorrow!

saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #12

Make one of these for your trip. http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=33842
Old 02-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #13

Squaw Flat Campground in the needles area of Canyonlands National Park might appeal to you. It's remote but has a good road all the way. It's about an hour or so south of Moab, then west off the highway. There is a sunset view area on the road a couple of miles past the campground that is not to be missed. The campground is built around a granite outcrop that offers attractive campsites.

http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/needles.htm
RB30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB30
Squaw Flat Campground in the needles area of Canyonlands National Park might appeal to you. It's remote but has a good road all the way. It's about an hour or so south of Moab, then west off the highway. There is a sunset view area on the road a couple of miles past the campground that is not to be missed. The campground is built around a granite outcrop that offers attractive campsites.

http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/needles.htm
Because I can't help myself being a geologist I have to add that the campground is not in granite but rather in the Cedar Mesa Formation, the same sedimentary rocks that make the area so unique. That, and the parallel faults that create block faults (horsts and grabens) and "needles" of rock created from tensional stresses. IMO, the campground is smack in the middle of some of the best and most accessible hiking in canyonlands. Without having to go 4wheeling. But don't expect a campsite if you get there in the late afternoon thurs-sat.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #15
Site Team

I might be including Utah in my summer roadtrip with my son, and we're looking at digging for Trilobites at U Dig Fossils.

http://www.u-digfossils.com/

Herb
Old 02-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #16

I went there last year with my wife and son, and we all had a great time. We ended up going up to the next mine after U-Dig because there wasn't anyone at U-Dig to let us in. It was just as good and a lot cheaper. Plus we had the place to ourselves since everyone goes to U-Dig. They also let us stay longer than the allotted time since it was a slow day. We filled three 5 gallon buckets with trilobites and rocks with trilobites in them.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost
winvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #17

We didn't camp, but stayed at a hotel in Delta which was nice. I think it was a Best Western. We also went to Fossil Mountain, where we saw a a few people dry camping along the road to the fossil hunting area. They said they were finding arrow heads along with fossils.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost
winvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #18

Just outside of Dead Horse Point there is a newish campground called "Horsethief", while DHP is really only worth a day in my opinion we stayed at Horsethief as our base of operations in Utah. It has good access to everything we were planning.

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/rec ... thief.html

The important thing is if you keep driving past the Horsethief campground it turns to BLM land and there are a half dozen boondock spots, some with tree or scrub cover for a bit more privacy.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #19
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

I know it was mentioned once or twice, but one of our favorite places is lake Powell, if you have the time and are so inclined, renting a powerboat from one of the marinas(bullfrog, wahweap)and camping on a beach is always great, exploring the canyons from the water is pretty amazing. There is a ferry that leaves from wahweap marina near page that takes you to rainbow bridge, only accessible from the water, its the largest natural bridge in the US. There are several beach car camping spots around the 2 marinas, down south near wahweap is lone rock camp, a huge sprawling beach filled with campers, rv's, and water toys. crowded but can be fun, we ran into another SMB camping there and ended hanging out with them for 3 days.

Hole in the rock road, outside of escalante, is a graded dirt road with some great camping including the cathedral, a huge natural rock amphitheater where the settlers used to gather events and dances. The road is close to 50 miles long and takes you to a spectacular overlook of Powell from the top, this is the spot where some of the early Mormon settlers blasted a road and portaged their carts down to the Colorado river below.

Burr trail is pretty cool, as well as all those spur roads that take off from it. We saw our first wild rattlesnake on notem road off the burr to/from Capitol reef, almost stepped on him getting out of the van to take a leak!

We'll be at powell on our boat end of may, beginning of June.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
We saw our first wild rattlesnake on notem road off the burr to/from Capitol reef, almost stepped on him getting out of the van to take a leak!
And then you no longer had to go?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote