Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #11
Site Team

Damn dude, that got my heart racing and my hands shaking just reading it.

Honestly, I couldn't even really appreciate the photos after reading that story, I'll have to come back and check them out later.

Did Crystal ever make it to a doctor to check her over?

Herb

Old 02-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #12

Very scary, but glad it ended well. Did your wife pass out due to having drinks and the heat of the hot spring?
Old 02-09-2016, 04:00 PM   #13

That was intense to even just read!

No doubt heat was part of it. That's why hot tubs time out after only 15 minutes.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:43 PM   #14

Wow! Man, I'm glad she is ok. That story is just crazy. It reminds me of a time we nearly lost our son in a Glacier NP river. One slip and he was gone. Nature took over and we were helpless to it. Strangers came out of the woodwork and helped us or it would've gone very differently. I'm certainly not trying to compare but there's something to be said for good people being around at the right time, and for not taking for granted the risks we take in the wild. Absolutely beautiful pics and I'm sure getting back to enjoying your trip distracted you both a bit and helped out. Wow man, still stunned.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
.... I'm certainly not trying to compare but there's something to be said for good people being around at the right time....
Good to know in situations like this there are some people who will jump in and help, and not just stand around taking videos with their phones so they can post them on YouTube.

Gives me some hope for humanity.

Herb
Old 02-10-2016, 06:16 AM   #16

Garage
^^^ i couldnt have said it better herb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Damn dude, that got my heart racing and my hands shaking just reading it.

Honestly, I couldn't even really appreciate the photos after reading that story, I'll have to come back and check them out later.
ya, while both their recollections are intense, phils is just crazy to read. he is also an accomplished writer who has a few books out and puts words together well. that combined with his medical knowledge makes for a good read. it was a little much to read for the first time though. plus i made the mistake of reading it at work. i was a mess for a good 30 min.

understand on the pix too. easy to lose focus after a story like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Did Crystal ever make it to a doctor to check her over?
i dont think she went in specifically afterwards to get checked out, but she sees her dr quite often. good question though. i will ask her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
Very scary, but glad it ended well. Did your wife pass out due to having drinks and the heat of the hot spring?
well im an idiot, that was one of the main reasons i posted this story. i thought i had what phil said about the cause that evening in the story. it was actually in a separate email. at the time, my wife was partaking in a fitness challenge. she had zero bodyfat and was eating a modified diet (if you can call it that). it was a very minimalist schedule. im normally on her ass about eating, especially when i know we will be drinking. that particular evening, i was more focused on me and dealing with pain management, pills, food, and alcohol. we did assume it was from not eating. below is how phil explained it to us.

Quote:
I just want to write and say it was more than not eating. From a medical standpoint it was probably all based upon overheating. Yes, maybe not eating was a small part of it and alcohol as well, but really I think you lost consciousness from your core temperature getting too high (the same effect of getting dizzy when getting out of a hot spring). It was just bad luck that you were in the water and it was pitch black so no one saw you faint into the water. It could have easily happened to any of us.

If there is one take away (for myself included) it is if in a hot spring or even a hot tub get out every so often and cool down. I am sure you guys know this already but I wanted to make sure you weren't left with the impression that what happened was from not eating. Sorry if this is redundant but I wanted to be sure it never happened again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
That was intense to even just read!

No doubt heat was part of it. That's why hot tubs time out after only 15 minutes.
its still intense for me to read and ive read it a lot.

and yep, right on the money.

Quote:
...I'm certainly not trying to compare but there's something to be said for good people being around at the right time, and for not taking for granted the risks we take in the wild.
definitely am not taking it that way. helplessness is helplessness regardless of the situation. when you feel it, it sucks. however, that was another main reason for sharing this story and ive expressed it with both phil and zach. this experience definitely helped bring back faith in mankind for me. ive been very jaded as of late from jackasshole encounters. these two outstanding random citizens reassure me that i like more and more of the people i meet away from main civilization. even that night, there were people in the next pool over. roughly 25'30' away. we yelled for their assistance. we were ignored.

Quote:
Absolutely beautiful pics and I'm sure getting back to enjoying your trip distracted you both a bit and helped out. Wow man, still stunned.
thank you, i will pass along the comments. it means a lot to her

it was both distracting and a way to ponder the night at the same time. i think it was better to be right next to each other for 2 days in beautiful country talking about what happened.

thanks to all who have taken the time to comment. it means a lot and i appreciate it. i didnt know how this adventure would be taken. you guys are the first to read zach and phils accounts of the evening. a lot of our close friends and family have read a vague rundown of the evening, but not all the crazy specifics. im sure this will be posted on her private fb account eventually for people close to us. ive asked a few close friends if they wanted to read it, but none of them were ready to dive into the details. i cant say i blame them.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:11 AM   #17

Man , What an ordeal. Brought chills to my spine. Sure glad everything ended up well.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:08 AM   #18

Garage
^^^ us too and thank you

just found out last night that my wife had not yet read phil and zachs recollections of the evening. i thought she had read through them, but apparently she was scared to see all the details (dont blame her at all). needless to say, seeing all that info hit her pretty hard

she did ask me to post up and say thank you for all the positive feedback and compliments on her photos. it meant a lot to her to hear that yesterday. thank you from both of us to everyone who has taken the time to respond!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:18 AM   #19

What an experience, good to hear all went well and what a spirit to continue the trip and enjoy the days.
Great pictures.
Thanks for sharing
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:23 AM   #20

Wow.....thanks for sharing this.
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote