Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #1

Upcoming Pacific NW road trip

Hey all. I have 26 days off starting May 8th at 8am! I've been all over the NW and spent a lot of time there but this trip is a little different. I'm solo and this is going to be a primarily hiking,running, and mtn bike trip. A little rafting in there as well.
Question is, are all the higher trails going to be snowed in? How about Leavenworth WA? Any other Mtn bike destinations that would work in May? I'm going to ride in Boise, ID and Bend OR (use to live there).
Also if anyone wants to meet for a ride or a beer, I'm in!

Thanks,
Josh

saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #2

Garage
Upcoming Pacific NW road trip

Josh, I'm in Portland. Im up in the mountains alot and I can tell you there is a lot of snow this year. I go to st Helens a lot and there is 120" at marble mtn which is only 2800'. You will likely have a tough time. Phil's trail MiGHT be ok. Do you have anyone to check it out in Bend? I can make some calls around if you want. I have a bunch of friends in bend and my sis lives in hood river. Let me know. Happy to hook up for a brew.

Brad
Old 04-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #3

Re: Upcoming Pacific NW road trip

Yes everything will be snowed in. Lots of snow this year. I was just at Stevens pass just out of Leavenworth and my bro in law just camped Leavenworth this past weekend and he said it was good. Snow is still higher up but no snow in town or even surrounding mtns. If you need more info pm me.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #4

Just did my first mountain bike ride of the year today in the coast range of Oregon. It was surprisingly dry and trail conditions were perfect. If you're coming that far west, you will enjoy it. Check out Central Oregon Trail Alliance at http://cotamtb.com/trails/ for Bend-area trails. Looks like Phil's is rideable if a little rough. Hood River should have something rideable - definitely the Syncline and maybe Post Canyon also. Good luck!

Jack
Old 04-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline
A little rafting in there as well.
Josh
Rafting? Did someone mention rafting?

I'm always game for some whitewater. Keep me in the loop about times and places. Are you bringing a boat? I have a spare cat if your legs are long enough for the frame. What type of water are you looking to run?

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #6

Thanks for the input fellas!

@ Vandiesel, if you hear about any trail conditions around the Bend area let me know. Thanks!!

@Aldercrest, I'm planning on going all the way to the coast. Do you have any info or websites to point me to for riding there.

@Gnarvan, I'm not too experienced. I have done Cataract (low water), Bruneau, South Fork Boise, Hells Canyon, Owyhee, and the Main Salmon and lots of Westwater trips. Mostly class III-IV nothing too crazy. As of right now I'm planning on leaving my 16' raft at home because I can use my friends raft in Boise if needed. I'm always up for an adventure though!!
There's a chance I might weasel myself in on a Rouge trip at the end of May. What are you going to be running next month?
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:52 PM   #7

Josh,

Try Northwest Trail Alliance, http://nw-trail.org/maps, for trail ideas. They have links to various other sources for free PDFs that you can print. If you want to buy a map, I would recommend these two. They also make a version for Mt. Hood & NW Oregon. You should be able to find them on Amazon or any local bike shop:

The next two scans came from the NW Oregon version, then a couple from Hood River:

Tillamook State Forest, highway 6 summit, south side:

Tillamook State Forest, highway 6 summit, north side:

Hood River, Post Canyon:

Hood River, The Syncline:

PM me if you want to connect while you're in the area. I'd be happy to join you for a ride. You might also want to meet my brother. He also rides and is a Portland firefighter in case you want to talk shop while you're in the area. He and some of his buddies have vans, too.

Jack
Old 04-24-2012, 03:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline
Thanks for the input fellas!

@Gnarvan, I'm not too experienced. I have done Cataract (low water), Bruneau, South Fork Boise, Hells Canyon, Owyhee, and the Main Salmon and lots of Westwater trips. Mostly class III-IV nothing ndtoo crazy. As of right now I'm planning on leaving my 16' raft at home because I can use my friends raft in Boise if needed. I'm always up for an adventure though!!
There's a chance I might weasel myself in on a Rouge trip at the end of May. What are you going to be running next month?
I have no plans. I start looking around on Thursdays to see what's running for the weeked. I have Fridays and Saturday's off and live across the Columbia river from Portland. I may be headed over to the Lochsa in idaho for the memorial day madness thing. The Lochsa is a blast. The icon I use on the forum is a shot of me in Lochsa Falls. I was about 18" to the right of the line I wanted. That flip happened so fast I was still in the seat on the oars upside down under water.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #9

The trails at Backrock near Fall City are clear, and most of the Post Canyon trails near hood river should be clear by then. For cross county riding, a couple of my favorites are McKenzie River trail, and upper Umpqua River Trail from Lemola Lake to the hot springs. Both should be clear by then. The upper trails around Bend, Mt. Bachelor will certainly still be snowed in.

I highly recomend doing some boating on the Clackamas on May 19th.
http://upperclackamasfestival.org/

There will be boats for demo, and there's always raft teams looking to pick up an extra paddler.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #10

Garage

More update info for the Hood River Area:

http://www.co.hood-river.or.us/index.as ... 25E66E2%7D