Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #1

Utah adventure trip report - 4X4 absolutely required!

Things didn't go as planned, but there wasn't much of a plan to start with. I wanted to follow xjblue's 2009 Utah Traverse trip report (http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...averse-Sept-09), but starting at Big Water, UT. As our depart date grew closer, we were losing guys to job schedules, vehicle issues, etc. I think a couple were just not sure it was in their best health to trust me. Hahaha...but seriously, I've practically been through med school (the hard way). So, besides my girlfriend, Kristal, only two other people followed us in their Jeep on this adventure. They met us at Lone Rock (Lake Powell) and their names are Dennis and his son, Kyle.

My rig is a 1996 Ford van with an Agile Off-Road 4x4 conversion. I'm proud of this thing. It has gotten me through some tricky situations that I didn't think was possible in such a large rig, and it has a ****-ton of sentimental value. However, I'm not afraid to scratch it or dent it, but I try really hard to keep it looking good. Anyway, it has a Ford TTB front axle, 14 Bolt (GM) rear axle with an ARB locker, 4:56 gears, 35" tires, and a 5.8 V8. On the inside is a microwave, fold out bed, and a big ARB refrigerator. For an adventure rig, this thing is set up to get up! My trailer is an average M100 military trailer that seems to be tougher than ****. It's been tested! I guess the only mod is a 40 gallon fuel tank bolted down in the front, and two small pieces of pipe welded to the tail gate so it can be held horizontal. Normally they swing all the way down.

My friend's Jeep TJ is bone stock. LOL.

October 26:
We met Dennis and Kyle at Lone Rock to do final packing and trip planning. Dennis had driven out from Illinois and picked up Kyle at his home in Colorado Springs. Kyle fights wild fires all over the country and is a trained survivalist. Between him and Kristal (registered nurse), I felt confident I didn't have to play it too safe. Dennis has been exploring and camping all over the place for decades, including Alaska. These guys are troopers!

We packed the trailer with a Honda CRF450X, 65 gallons of fuel, 40 gallons of water, tools, spares, more spares, and all the normal camping stuff. We were told to not gather firewood, so any open spot was filled with our own (we had enough for 7 nights). Included in the "normal" camping stuff was a porta-potti. Word to your mother, never, ever, ever bring a porta-potti on an off-road trip. That thing was upside-down more than right-side up. Luckily it hadn't been used yet. The dirt bike was our last resort back-up plan in case something happened...I don't walk so good, ironically, because of dirt bikes.

After loading the trailer I wanted to go play around in the OHV area at Lone Rock. I un-hitched the trailer and away we went. I think Kristal spoke for the group when she asked me to not total the van before the trip started. I knew everything was okay but I think this is when Dennis and Kyle started wondering what they signed up for!

Kristal and I settled into a nice cove for the night, only a few feet away from the water at Lake Powell. Our journey would begin the next day and we couldn't be more excited!

I need to go get some work done...I'll try to post up more tonight. Lots of pictures to follow, and some pretty good adventures. Here's a teaser of what's to come...

It wasn't a cakewalk! This was the norm by day 5.

Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:20 AM   #2

Re: Utah adventure trip report - 4X4 absolutely required!

Awesome.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:37 AM   #3

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Awesome.
x2! look forward to more report and pix!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #4

I'm having problems posting pictures. It says they can only be a certain width. I'm struggling...don't know why all of the pictures in the first post were ok, but these aren't?
Old 12-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #5

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Good link to above mentioned 2009 trip: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...averse-Sept-09

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge
I'm having problems posting pictures. It says they can only be a certain width. I'm struggling...don't know why all of the pictures in the first post were ok, but these aren't?
If you have the Tapatalk app, I find it easier to post photos through there. It automatically sizes them, and also (I think) allows you to post more pics per post.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Your first set of pics were posted using photobucket. If you're trying to load pics up to your gallery on this forum, they have to be sized down.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
Quote:
Your first set of pics were posted using photobucket. If you're trying to load pics up to your gallery on this forum, they have to be sized down.
The second set were all from photobucket as well...
Old 12-03-2015, 01:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Quote:
If you have the Tapatalk app, I find it easier to post photos through there. It automatically sizes them, and also (I think) allows you to post more pics per post.
All my pics are on a laptop, so I uploaded them to photobucket. My iPad doesn't have any pics on it.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Good link to above mentioned 2009 trip: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...averse-Sept-09
on the list
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote