Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
Site Team

Re: Utah Christmas / New Years - anyone been there done that?

I camp at Zion year round. Been there in December, January and February. It's usually cold but beautiful. I prefer camping in Zion during the winter because it keeps most people away. I've had the entire campground (Watchman) to myself before. The South Campground is closed in the winter. The good news is the Zion Canyon road is open to private vehicle traffic in the winter (rather than mandatory shuttle bus), so you can go at your own pace and see everything. When there is snow in the canyon the place is absolutely spectacular! The wild animals (deer, elk, turkeys) are in the camp and near the roads in the winter. Of course some trails, such as Angels landing, may be closed during the winter for safety reasons.

Bryce Canyon is higher in elevation so it is a lot colder in winter. I've never been there in the winter, but was there in mid-June 2010 and was chilly then.

I'd be happy to join anyone going to Southern Utah over the holidays. I'm pretty sure I could not convince my wife to go to Baja, although if enough people are going I may be able to suggest it.

Mac

Old 10-19-2010, 05:47 PM   #12

Garage

I hope to see southern UT this winter. I go there often but have never been in the winter. As a photographer, I expect it to be spectacularly beautiful with snow.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #13

Baja would be great
Talked to Stanly

Utah i think would be pretty cool, no pun, also

talking to wifey

will talk to ranger on wednesday

any other takers??

any other info??
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:27 PM   #14

I'd love to caravan Baja over the holidays. Cortez side can get windy then though...

Just got back from Gonzaga, camped at Pta Final. Will try to post some photos. BW, tell your wife the beaches are like Thailand (certainly in Bahia Concepcion).

I have no trepidation about traveling in Baja now after about 5k miles down there in the 6 months. Driving down Mex 5 this last time was a breeze.

True story: driving home from Gonzaga my girls were asleep so I delayed stopping for fuel. At the checkpoint north of San Felipe I asked the guy checking our van how far to the next diesel and he said far and to give him our gas can. He then filled it up with the diesel for their Hummers. I asked him how much $$ and he said nothing and sent us on our way. Classic Baja.
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #15

very cool
would love the winter in Utah, but gonna be too cold for Mrs Wilson
Baja here we come
(edit: i think, last night i showed her temps and she still wants to see Utah...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbmac
I'd love to caravan Baja over the holidays. Cortez side can get windy then though...

Just got back from Gonzaga, camped at Pta Final. Will try to post some photos. BW, tell your wife the beaches are like Thailand (certainly in Bahia Concepcion).

I have no trepidation about traveling in Baja now after about 5k miles down there in the 6 months. Driving down Mex 5 this last time was a breeze.

True story: driving home from Gonzaga my girls were asleep so I delayed stopping for fuel. At the checkpoint north of San Felipe I asked the guy checking our van how far to the next diesel and he said far and to give him our gas can. He then filled it up with the diesel for their Hummers. I asked him how much $$ and he said nothing and sent us on our way. Classic Baja.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #16

FWIW:

I went to college in Murrieta CA. and the only vehicle I had for those 2 years was my ZX 11. I rode out to the Grand Canyon after Xmas one year and other that the bikes seat being frozen in the morning I found the riding and looking around to be comfortable as far as temperatures went. But I didn't tent. I say Utah in a van sounds great that time of year.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:42 AM   #17

Re: Utah Christmas / New Years - 30 Oct - the trip is on

Current route:
Southern California
Mojave Preserve
Las Vegas
Snow Canyon
Coral Pink San Dunes
Dixie National Forest
Bryce
Kodachrome
Zion
Quail Creek
Virgin River
Valley of Fire
Southern Califoronia

1231 miles
18 Dec thru 04 Jan
several of the parks are very close
may drive in and out same day
When we find a cool spot, stop and hang
Weather will also be a factor
Will print out this map and mark up with Morreseys Backroads
Any input appreciated
Old 10-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline
It will be cold and most likley snowy, especially in the higher locals like Bryce. Perhaps the Moab/Canyonlands area is a better choice, but it will be cold there too. My wife and I love going to the area during the winter because the place is deserted. We stayed at Dead Horse SP last winter and snowshoed for a few days, we were the only ones in the campground. Arches is also well worth seeing in the winter time.

I like the area, but too far east for this trip
over
Old 10-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #19

BW,

Bryce is going to be very cold. I'd suggest you do day tripping there and camp down at Kodachrome SP. Nice little park, much lower than Bryce and warmer with heated showers. Easy to spend a couple of days hiking around Kodachrome.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
BW,

Bryce is going to be very cold. I'd suggest you do day tripping there and camp down at Kodachrome SP. Nice little park, much lower than Bryce and warmer with heated showers. Easy to spend a couple of days hiking around Kodachrome.

Mike

got it buddy
the parks are so close we can do that

question for anyone
should we schlep the mountain bikes??