Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2019, 01:46 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
You might consider dropping on to 50 and swing by Great Basin NP along the way or way back. Great spot if it's not too busy. Nice cave tours. Your passing close to Lassen NP but probably kind of busy. There are some nice quick spots to boon-dock around Lake Tahoe. Below the Crescent City area I found Redwood National Park Drive along the coast to be a nice 1-way stroll. I enjoyed Gold Bluffs for sure. Newton B Drury scenic parkway is a must and as mentioned Howland Hill road is fantastic. I also liked Bald Hills road but preferred sticking to the coast. Too bad you couldn't get down to Usal beach but that's a bit south. In Crescent City the Harbor View Grotto Restaurant & Lounge served good seafood several years back. Not even sure if it's open these days.

https://www.nps.gov/redw/planyourvisit/drives.htm

If you can pick up a copy of Northern California Backcountry Adventures it is well worth having on board.

https://www.amazon.com/Backcountry-A.../dp/1930193084

Have a great trip.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisnight View Post
Has anyone been to the Trinity Alps area? That also looks amazing but is such a big area, it would be nice to narrow down a good spot to visit or do some offroading.
Yes, beautiful area. I'd stick to camping near ponds or lakes, or at altitude, this time of year as it can be pretty warm there. Lots of rugged terrain with well kept fire roads.

It's also somewhat remote: I've hiked there over 4th of July a number of years ago, and we didn't see any signs of other humans until we made it back to the road.

Do not expect much if any cell coverage.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:28 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage
I'd second DaveB on Hwy 50, The Loneliest Hwy. Great Basin NP has Nevada's highest peak, had the world's oldest bristlecone pine until a researcher cut it down to see how old it was, and the very interesting Lehman cave tour (see below). It is an International Dark Sky Assn site with an astronomy program every Saturday and a full moon hike on the 17th.

Ward Mtn SW of Ely on US 6 has nice campsites. It wasn't busy last year as the local mining company drained the underground water and it was dry. The campground host said the company was going to pay to have water restored (don't know how accurate any of that is) and the USFS web page says there's water now. There's FS camping near Austin, about halfway across NV, but we've never stopped there.

Lassen is definitely worth a drive through. The camping area is pretty congested but, then again, it's California. Looks like you're ending at Eureka/Arcata. Enjoy Arcata's forest preserve.

Be aware that Redding is forecast to be over 100 next week. We dallied in the Sierras and at Lassen last summer, hoping the heat would break, before making a mad dash across the central valley The coast was a godsend.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:12 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
You might consider dropping on to 50 and swing by Great Basin NP along the way or way back. Great spot if it's not too busy. Nice cave tours. Your passing close to Lassen NP but probably kind of busy. There are some nice quick spots to boon-dock around Lake Tahoe. Below the Crescent City area I found Redwood National Park Drive along the coast to be a nice 1-way stroll. I enjoyed Gold Bluffs for sure. Newton B Drury scenic parkway is a must and as mentioned Howland Hill road is fantastic. I also liked Bald Hills road but preferred sticking to the coast. Too bad you couldn't get down to Usal beach but that's a bit south. In Crescent City the Harbor View Grotto Restaurant & Lounge served good seafood several years back. Not even sure if it's open these days.

https://www.nps.gov/redw/planyourvisit/drives.htm

If you can pick up a copy of Northern California Backcountry Adventures it is well worth having on board.

https://www.amazon.com/Backcountry-A.../dp/1930193084

Have a great trip.
All great info and super helpful, I've been to the NPS site a few times and didn't see that page with the drives so thanks. Any more info on where exactly there are Boondocking places near Tahoe? Might be a good halfway point.

That book looks helpful too but wouldn't arrive in time.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:55 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo View Post
I'd second DaveB on Hwy 50, The Loneliest Hwy. Great Basin NP has Nevada's highest peak, had the world's oldest bristlecone pine until a researcher cut it down to see how old it was, and the very interesting Lehman cave tour (see below). It is an International Dark Sky Assn site with an astronomy program every Saturday and a full moon hike on the 17th.

Ward Mtn SW of Ely on US 6 has nice campsites. It wasn't busy last year as the local mining company drained the underground water and it was dry. The campground host said the company was going to pay to have water restored (don't know how accurate any of that is) and the USFS web page says there's water now. There's FS camping near Austin, about halfway across NV, but we've never stopped there.

Lassen is definitely worth a drive through. The camping area is pretty congested but, then again, it's California. Looks like you're ending at Eureka/Arcata. Enjoy Arcata's forest preserve.

Be aware that Redding is forecast to be over 100 next week. We dallied in the Sierras and at Lassen last summer, hoping the heat would break, before making a mad dash across the central valley The coast was a godsend.

Don
Good info, thanks for all the good ideas and for the heads up on the forecast. I unfortunately wasn't able to get to my starcool project yet so we wont have AC, would definitely be miserable hanging out in the crazy temps for too long. Of course we are originally from AZ so we know heat well but its been over 3 years so we are over that.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #16
Site Team

Garage
According to the Nor Cal book you can probably find areas to boon dock along the Watson trail out of Tahoe city however I've never been there. I have been in the Blackwood canyon area up around Barker pass and that might be closer to the main highway around the lake. Sent you a PM.
(edit) Make sure to contact the ranger district in the area. Around Yosemite we have trees down all over the place due to the bark beetle and high snows. I'm not sure how many trails are open.

Bear Lake
Attached Thumbnails
Bear Lake.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:58 AM   #17

Because of the heat, you should try to camp up high. I just sent someone to Truckee to camp, rather than Reno. Its not boondocking, but there are several nice campgrounds just NE of Truckee by Boca and Stampede Reservoirs. Kids would probably enjoy the chance for a swim.

As someone else mentioned, there is boondocking south of Lake Tahoe, but that’s a bit off route for you.

I have boondocked (as recently as last weekend) at Moon Rocks NE of Reno. Moon Rocks proper is a big ATV area but I just continue further out Winnemucca Ranch Rd beyond the turnoff to Moon Rocks and it’s very quiet. Lots of BLM land out there.

The state park between Reno and Carson City is Washoe Lake. Nice enough, but again my suggestion would be to try to stay higher up.
Dogmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:07 AM   #18

Looking more closely at your route, maybe you should detour past Pyramid Lake (NE of Reno). There is dispersed camping all along the shore, and it’s very scenic. You just need a cheapish permit from the Paiute Tribe, which can be purchased on line.
Dogmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:50 PM   #19

Hwy 50 and Great Basin are a wonder for all to see. I ‘third’ that recommendation. Camp up on top in the Aspens and hike to the high lakes if your kids can do the miles. You won’t regret it.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:18 AM   #20

I live in Gold Beach Oregon. You will want to be sure to Drive From Grants pass to 101, and make a small diversion South to Richardson Grove, The Last real Stand of Old Growth Redwoods,, Then turn around and come back up the Coast. (assuming you come the way of Medford)

The Coast Views From Crescent City to Coos Bay will take you right by my house in Gold Beach.. And Those are the Absolute Best Coastal Views in the World. But The Iconic Oregon Coast line is here in my Back Yard. And we also have the Very tip top of the Remaining Old Growth Redwoods here just as you cross over from California to Oregon around Brookings..

Enjoy the Trip Sounds Fun.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote