Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2019, 05:22 PM   #1

Garage
Utah to Costal Redwoods trip, what should I see?

Hey all. So our big Summer trip is coming up this coming Wed, we are headed to see the Redwoods and have 13 days to explore. We have reservations for 8 nights at the beach campgrounds at Patrick's point and Gold Bluffs Beach but plan on taking at least 2 days to drive there and back since we have 4 little kids and even 7 hours of driving per day will be miserable. Who has been and what should we see either there or along the way? I have never been and am super excited.
Here is the route we will take, any good camping spots halfway around the Reno area ish? Dispersed is preferred but not mandatory, if there is an amazing spot that's not halfway that's fine too:

nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:40 PM   #2

I've never been there but I've flown over it - but Crater Lake is one of the most gorgeous sites I've ever seen. Medford to Crater Lake is 89 mi. It would be no question for me.
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #3

There was a county park with camping between Reno and Carson City, west side of that north/south highway. I stayed at it two different times a couple of years apart but that was 30+ years ago. Nice little place.
campism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:07 PM   #4

Garage
If you're close to Reno consider making the detour to Virginia City, NV - we always enjoyed this quaint little western Town.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:37 PM   #5

Garage
That should be a great trip and opportunity to give the front end a "shake-down" test. If time permits, visit Fern Canyon, just north of Patrick's Point. There you will find a nice beach, hiking trail and resident herd of Rosevelt elk. If you want to try some local seafood, I'd recommend the restaurant at the marina in Trinidad, just south of Patrick's Point. Kinda a quirky spot that we used to go to for special occasions. If you get as far north as Crescent City, try to visit Jedediah State Park. You'll get to drive along a dirt road through a stellar grove of old growth trees at a much slower pace. The drive along the Smith River is beautiful as well. Enjoy the trip!
Old 06-08-2019, 10:08 PM   #6

The kids might be too little to appreciate it, but the Lava Beds National Monument located east of Mount Shasta is worth a visit. A stroll through the lava tubes is great and is something you don't get to do very often.
campism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB123 View Post
I've never been there but I've flown over it - but Crater Lake is one of the most gorgeous sites I've ever seen. Medford to Crater Lake is 89 mi. It would be no question for me.
Looks amazing, if we decide to drive that far It definitely looks worth it, maybe take the scenic route home...
Old 06-09-2019, 10:59 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
That should be a great trip and opportunity to give the front end a "shake-down" test. If time permits, visit Fern Canyon, just north of Patrick's Point. There you will find a nice beach, hiking trail and resident herd of Rosevelt elk. If you want to try some local seafood, I'd recommend the restaurant at the marina in Trinidad, just south of Patrick's Point. Kinda a quirky spot that we used to go to for special occasions. If you get as far north as Crescent City, try to visit Jedediah State Park. You'll get to drive along a dirt road through a stellar grove of old growth trees at a much slower pace. The drive along the Smith River is beautiful as well. Enjoy the trip!
Great info!! Yes we plan on seeing all of that, definitely will be by Fern Canyon, its right by one of our campgrounds we will be at for 3 nights. Plan on getting to Crescent City and Jedediah as well. We do want to eat some yummy seafood so thanks for the info, we will check the marina out.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:02 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by campism View Post
The kids might be too little to appreciate it, but the Lava Beds National Monument located east of Mount Shasta is worth a visit. A stroll through the lava tubes is great and is something you don't get to do very often.
Some of those lava tubes look pretty cool, I hear the Lake Shasta caverns are pretty cool too and you take a boat ride to get to them....too many options.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:04 AM   #10

Garage
Has anyone been to the Trinity Alps area? That also looks amazing but is such a big area, it would be nice to narrow down a good spot to visit or do some offroading.