Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #11
Site Team

Re: Utah Trip Report - June 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Thwaites
Mac,
Glad you are up and about. You might be on to something regarding your vertigo. My folks lived their last few years in LV. Everytime we visited we came home feeling a bit odd for few days! Maybe it was my Dad's cooking. How about the altitude difference?
I spent several years living and working in North Eastern Utah/South Eastern Idaho. Absolutely some of the prettiest country I've ever been in. I particularly liked Logan Canyon as well as the country between Soda Springs and Blackfoot Idaho along the Blackfoot River. I worked on a big dry farm barley/cattle ranch about 25 miles north west of Soda Springs. If somebody offered me that job running a combine again I'd pack up and be back there in heartbeat. Bear Lake was pretty undeveloped back then (1970). I was through there a couple of years ago and surprised at how many summer homes were there. The Bear River eventually dumps into The Great Salt Lake. I worked for the Bear River Canal Company as a watermaster from 73 to 76. Water diverted from the river near Clarkston Utah at Cutler dam supplies all of the irrigation for the farms west of Logan and north of Brigham City. It is or was the largest privately owned canal system in the US. Next time you go up to that country spend some time exploring the desert around Promontory and on out to Park Valley.
Hi Chris:

Didn't know you had roamed these parts. We bought our cottage with two acres of property in Garden City in 1970 for $4000. Prices have risen a little bit since then. I've often thought I could live in Garden City, particularly since I grew up in a small town in Wyoming (Evanston), but after being in Vegas for 23 years I think I've turned into a city slicker. I need multiple shopping, eating, movie facilities and other things to do. But it's hard to beat the outdoor pleasures within 100 miles of Bear Lake -- including the Tetons and Yellowstone.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #12
Site Team

While on this trip I also stopped to tour several Mormon Tabernacles in some of the small towns in the area. A tabernacle is a public building built by the Mormon pioneers for church, social, cultural and other meetings. The most well known Mormon tabernacle is the domed facility with the famous organ on Temple Square in Salt Lake City. But many of the small towns throughout Utah and Idaho also have tabernacles. It's nice to see some beautiful pioneer architecture -- the "cathedrals" of the West.

Here are pictures of some of the ones I visited on this trip: (Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures)

Randolph, Utah

Paris, Idaho

Logan, Utah

And the LDS (Mormon) Logan Temple in Logan. Temples are not open to the public; only to members of the church in good standing.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #13

Huh???
Attached Thumbnails
Logan Temple.jpg  
Old 06-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwteleman
Huh???
A couple of kids running up the hill. The hill is pretty steep, but a great place to play.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #15

Looks like a great trip. Gives me some ideas. The tabernacles are beautiful. My sister-in-law lives in Vegas and about 4 months ago she started dealing with tinnitis and vertigo. No diagnosis yet,but getting a little better. Maybe it's the weird mix of pollens that everyone brought with the plants from their home towns. Glad you're getting out again.
littleboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #16
Site Team

Back up at the cottage on Bear Lake for another two to three weeks to again test the theory that my vertigo is caused by Vegas or my house there. If it proves true we will be moving, but don't know where.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
Back up at the cottage on Bear Lake for another two to three weeks to again test the theory that my vertigo is caused by Vegas or my house there. If it proves true we will be moving, but don't know where.
Do you live in an older house? Wondering if you have electromagnetic interference (EMI) issues in your house, which can happen from old or improperly shielded wiring.

Herb
Old 06-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #18
Site Team

I live in the Historic District in Las Vegas. My house was built in 1983. No kidding!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
Site Team

Well, everyone still feels bad about the '80s, so maybe that's it.

Herb
Old 06-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #20

While vertigo (and Tinnitus) are still among the great unsolved medical mysteries it's worth looking at the symptoms and self tests for Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo. (BPPV) or more commonly known as BPV, (that would be BPPV without the Paroxysms...). It is the most common cause of vertigo and the treatment is relatively simple, assuming you can find someone trained to work with it.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote