Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2019, 07:59 AM   #1

Van Life Article

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...mpfoot_mostpop

Some of the Comments are pretty hilarious, some not.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:07 AM   #2

Sounds like she did more reading than doing.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS View Post
Sounds like she did more reading than doing.

So many seem to do that. They get so wrapped up in the reading and planning that the reality is a let down. It’s like a lot of folks in “overlanding” world, which seems more about the perfectly outfitted adventure rig that actually adventuring.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:33 AM   #4

The article is a study in knee jerk response to a trend resulting in a half baked plan. It starts with "It sparked this intense, exciting weekend-long discussion". A weekend long discussion to make a life changing plan. Perfect. But somehow didn't manage to determine how to charge phones in all the planning that went in? The van battery makes a hell of a charger! And the camp site rates - a huge sign that they're doing it wrong.

I'll be glad when the fad fades. I think it is already. Seeing more vans online for sale, for longer. More for me when I upgrade!
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:16 PM   #5

This is am example of why you see so many low mileage, single use RV's for sale.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:14 PM   #6

Garage
“We’re so glad we tried it,” she said. ???????????? the way I read it the Van never really made it out of the driveway.
I agree you enjoy the lifestyle with proper planning - we always carry a bottle of Patron and maintain a generously supply of Corona lights.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:28 PM   #7

Garage
I read through a bunch of the comments. I’m not sure why so many people wanted to bash these folks. It sounds like they had little camping experience but had a fun idea and tried it out. Yeah, they didn’t know how to do it right and it turned out not to be fun. I’ve tried lots of things that turned out not to be fun. But trying it is how you find out what you like.

I’d give em a thumbs up just for not buying a $150K van and then decide it wasn’t fun. That’s a lot bigger headache.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:11 PM   #8

I would imagine if they had bought a $150,000 van it would have made it a bit easer for them to tolerate the driveway camping and the inconveniences. Pop top or raised roof would have kept the husband from hitting his head at least!
Old 07-10-2019, 04:06 AM   #9

Garage
If you started out as backpackers, as we did, the van seems like the lap of luxury. When it rains you can lay back and think, "I don't have to pack up a wet tent". In the mountains your tent is usually wet in the morning anyway, just from condensation. I can see where it might not meet the expectations of non-camping people though.
wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:28 PM   #10

I've thought about this a lot over the last 30 years. I have a couple friends who had been 'live aboards' on sailboats in California, I've met a lot of their 'marina friends'. They tell me "it's every sailors dream to one day retire and go cruise the world", but cautioned me, "it's not for everyone". My buddy Pete, adds "We've know several people who have done it, but about half prepare for it, do a 3 week trip down to Mexico, and decide 'it sucks' ".

On the other hand, adventurous types, like my wife's friends (who wrote a book about their adventures) and a friend from the gym and wife whom I follow on FB, are really having a grand time. But they both have several things in common: Their partners are 'go with the flow' types, they can spend hours on end in each others company and not get tired of their partners, have that 'can do' attitude, and are can fix stuff. When I say 'can fix stuff', I don't mean the stuff I do, I mean can troubleshoot a generator that won't start, can wire up a new radio, can hire out and direct the major repairs and have the back up cash reserves to handle such 'eventualities'.