Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2021, 11:46 PM   #1

Garage
Van Meetup for Reno +Lake Tahoe +outlying areas...November 6th, 2021?? Yay? Nay?

Lewis and I were talking the other day and thought that a meetup of sportsmobiles + vans would be a cool idea...mostly to shoot the sht, to compare rigs, to look for ideas, to bounce ideas off one another and to plan future trips together (if people are open to the idea).

We could meet somewhere close, like Boca or Stampede or Lake Davis or ??? A lake might be best because people can get in the water and people can bbq + relax.

What about 9am to 4pm and people can show up earlier and stay later if they wish?!?!?!?

This would be open to vans of all sorts.

If anyone has ideas, go ahead and add to this thread...

Old 09-26-2021, 09:42 AM   #2

Can't make that date, but I love the idea. I will join in the future!
Glippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:19 AM   #3

Hopefully the thick smoke will be gone by then!
Old 10-07-2021, 10:33 AM   #4

Since I’ve had my van for almost ten years now and have yet to attend a meet I love this idea. Especially since it’s in my backyard.
Be aware that pretty much every body of water in the area is very very low right now due to the continuing drought. The end of October is getting a little chilly for swimming anyway. The smoke situation has improved greatly the last week or so and we’ve even had a few rain sprinkles with more in the forecast this weekend.
I’ll stay posted and hopeful something happens.
Thanks for the idea.
campIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:50 PM   #5

Smile sounds fun

HI,

We're right in Truckee and that would be fun! Last group van thing we did was a Sportsmobile rally years ago. We tend to boondock in the Boca/Stampeed area to get away from people

Wondering about 10/29 date as it is a Friday? Possibly move to Sat since more folks might be able to make it?
Old 10-19-2021, 11:45 AM   #6

Garage
How about Nov 6th at Boca or Stampede? That way Halloween weekend is clear for trick-or-treating activities.
If people agree to Nov 6th, is there a way to correct the thread title to reflect???

Stampede boat ramp? That way if the weather is a bit rainy/snowy, then people don't have to worry about getting stuck in the dirt? It's $4 for day use - https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/taho...a/?recid=55780

and the stampede website - https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/taho...a/?recid=80775
Old 10-21-2021, 03:04 PM   #7

nov 6?

HI,

The 6th would work for us though wondering if we may want to postpone till spring 2022 so folks who want to camp could do so more easily. (i.e no mud, open campgrounds)

Not sure how to change date on original post.

Kelly & Gordon
Old 10-22-2021, 12:38 PM   #8

The 6th also works for us, but would really like the ability to camp somewhere in the vicinity. Dawgtnt, above you mentioned that you boondock in the area, do you know of somewhere reasonably near by where those of us who choose to stay after the meetup can boondock for the night?

Tim & Laura
Old 10-22-2021, 01:27 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgtnt View Post
HI,

The 6th would work for us though wondering if we may want to postpone till spring 2022 so folks who want to camp could do so more easily. (i.e no mud, open campgrounds)

Not sure how to change date on original post.

Kelly & Gordon
This is just a meet-n-greet / get-outta-the-house get-together.
If people wish to camp / boondock, there are many campgrounds nearby (unsure how many are open beyond October)...i'll try to get a list later today.
I'm all for a springtime camping get-together in addition to this one.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:57 PM   #10

nov 6

Hi all,

Pretty sure all Nat forest campgrounds are now closed (Boca, Stampeed, Prosser), and those by 89 South so that leaves just private campgrounds or trying to boondock. I suspect with the snow coming in, it will be dicy getting to Stampeed boat ramp. It gets more snow than down here in Truckee, but we do manage to drive up in the van to get the dog out to the deserted campground for winter walks. That all depends on snow depth.

For boondocking, you have to get out of the special use area around the reservoirs and that makes for some slippery muddy hill driving. Kyberz flat is a nice area but ground could be too muddy.

Kelly & Gordon