Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2018, 08:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
If you would like, I'll take a couple of the photos that didn't load right side up and do an experiment with hosting them on my site.
Sure, thanks. Still, I'm not sure I can handle signing up for another site and add yet another step to posting photos, so I suppose I'll just have to live with it. Thanks for your help though.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbail View Post
I’m looking forward to hearing of more Western “Super Natural” B.C. adventures from you.
Thats probably going to be the Roaming Rally in June. It might not be sold out if your interested.

https://www.graveltravel.ca/index.ph...132&Itemid=150
Advanced 4wd
Old 02-25-2018, 08:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Looks like a great trip. Fire on the beach...and all the wood you need. Nice.
Enough wood to last my lifetime and yours too.
Advanced 4wd
Old 02-26-2018, 08:29 AM   #14

Garage
On the photos, interestingly when I right clicked on some of the sideways photos and opened in a new window, they were right side up and some stayed sideways.

I downloaded three sideways photos. Two remained sideways (first two below) and one was right side up (the third below). I rotated the two without opening a program to do so, just rotated the icon on the computer. Uploaded all to my site.

Here they are, while they are right side up on my site, they are displaying sideways.

Here they are again. Now right side up. I opened all in paint, resized and rotated 90 degrees back and forth to upright.

Anyway, this is all very strange. I'm sure it is related to phone photos and uploading without manipulation. Why I have no idea.

I suppose I'm a glutton for punishment and always resize/manipulate photos before uploading to my site so I've never had the problem. I have my own website so use it on the back end to host extra photos. With it I have my own domain email and Microsoft Office license is included. Not cheap.

Sure needs to be a simpler solution and one that doesn't cost more money.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Anyway, this is all very strange. I'm sure it is related to phone photos and uploading without manipulation. Why I have no idea.

I suppose I'm a glutton for punishment and always resize/manipulate photos before uploading to my site so I've never had the problem.
Sure needs to be a simpler solution and one that doesn't cost more money.
Thanks for that, the photos certainly look better when right side up. Unfortunately, I already spend way too much time on the computer to add another labor intensive / expensive step to posting photos, so I guess I'll just live with it, for now at least. I'll use the time I save to think up even more ways to spend money on my van.
Advanced 4wd
Old 02-26-2018, 01:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
... I winched him up to my bumper, but now I was stuck and unable to back up either. John who was behind me extended his cable to my bumper and pulled me back to flat ground where I was again able to finish winching Chris up the hill. The last time Chris attempted that route he was alone and ended up getting his truck stuck. He had to walk out and the truck was there for a month. Fortunately, he was able to raise someone on the radio who met him at a road junction and gave him a ride home. This time he had friends and got out quickly.
I clearly have the wrong mindset for this activity. Given prior experience getting majorly stuck, the idea of going back -- in deep snow! -- just doesn't seem sane!

Great trip report. That radio system for avoiding awkward show-downs with logging trucks is fascinating, and a great resource.
AndrewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:10 PM   #17

Garage
Nice trip report Jeff, it looks like you had a good time.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewInSeattle View Post
I clearly have the wrong mindset for this activity. Given prior experience getting majorly stuck, the idea of going back -- in deep snow! -- just doesn't seem sane!.

I'm totally against creating a bunch of work for my self, so when I'm out in the wilderness alone, I have a completely different sense of adventure. I'm prepared with a lot of recovery gear and don't mind using it, but when your with friends, your options are far greater and getting unstuck is normally pretty easy. Being alone where there are limited options for winch anchor points causes me to pucker a bit and to avoid places that might mean hours of work to get out. The hill Chris went down would have been one of those places if I were alone, but we knew we could get each other out pretty easily.
Advanced 4wd
Old 03-04-2018, 11:12 PM   #19

Looking forward to the June Gravel Travel trip. You mentioned radio communication. What kind of radio? How far north on the island did you travel and what was your highest altitude? We camped at Nitnat Lake about 10 years ago. This 60 mile long lake is a favorite of wind surfers.Beautiful area. The campground was on an Indian Reservation.Our trip was cut short by some issues with Canadian Customs but I've always wanted to return to the island and explore more. Someday! Thanks for the trip report .
Chris and Ruth
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Thwaites View Post
Looking forward to the June Gravel Travel trip. You mentioned radio communication. What kind of radio? How far north on the island did you travel and what was your highest altitude? .
Chris and Ruth
Hi Chris, the official (required) rally radio system will be FRS radios (those inexpensive handheld radios sold at every sporting goods store) They work ok, but have a very limited range, sometimes measured in yards depending on terrain and antenna location. Those of us that travel often on Canadian logging roads prefer to be able to monitor and call out our location on much higher powered mobile radios. Transmitting on these frequencies
https://www.fleetwooddp.com/pages/bc...ad-frequencies
requires being licensed though and they are not to be used for idle chit chat since you could block critical communications. Never the less I doubt anyone has ever been checked for a license. I'm a licensed ham operator and have radios capable of transmitting on a wide variety of frequencies. So to answer your question, in addition to a required FRS radio, getting one of these is an inexpensive way to be able to talk on different frequencies besides the FRS ones.
https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-Warra...g+uv-+5r&psc=1

This radio will transmit on many frequencies that require a license though, but you can listen on any channel you like. But, with limited range (still better than FRS and fine for vehicle to vehicle coms) it's unlikely you will interfere with any commercial operators or even be heard by the authoritys.

For the ultimate rig, these folks (and plenty of others) sell commercial quality stuff. One of these radios would give you the best chance of long distance communications, and provide a good option for putting out a distress call if you were broken down somewhere in the wilderness. When in real distress, you can legally transmit on any frequency while calling for help. Many commercial types come pre-programed but make sure you can also manually input frequencies so you can program something on the fly.

https://www.pciraceradios.com/collections/radios

Finally, a simple, inexpensive scanner will allow you to monitor pretty much any frequency anyone might use on the rally, in addition to being able to hear police, fire, rescue, aircraft, marine, weather, municipal, and other radio users. I reciently got one of these to mount in the van.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for our island trip, we got to within a few miles of the Northern most road which ends at the Cape Scott municipal park, which is the very Northern end of the island. ...................
Advanced 4wd