Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2018, 02:10 PM   #1

Vancouver Island conquered again

1000 miles of snow, ice, mud, gravel some dust and one busted transfer case.
A few months back I got the urge to explore more of Vancouver island North and posted a trip proposal. Once again my two friends John and Chris expressed interest and we set a date. Being the middle of winter, we expected some cold and wet weather, and we weren’t disappointed. After a ferry ride from mainland B.C. I departed from Nanimo and headed to Comox where I met up with Chris and John. That night we looked over maps and did some route planning. The plan was to depart Comox for Gold River on the pavement, then head North avoiding as much pavement as possible. Since Chris lives on the island and knows most of it well, he was our guide. Our route included mostly logging roads and there is active logging all over the island. This means you need to expect to meet a huge (too large for the paved roads) logging truck taking up the whole road at any point. Fortunately, there is a communication plan posted on all the roads that require those trucks to broadcast their location and direction of travel every kilometer or so. Individual road frequencies are posted on signs, as are kilometer and direction markings. Monitoring those frequencies allows you to pull off the road before one of these monster trucks goes by, since they are almost as wide as the road. More information on this system can be seen here:
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/natural-resource-use/resource-roads/radio-communications/channel-maps
Our first stop was to check out a large hydro electric plant and to drive across the dam. Shortly after that we came to a road blockage due to a bridge being taken apart for maintenance. It’s not uncommon to be held up for logging work in the woods and the best plan is usually to just sit and wait as detours often take longer than just waiting. So we made lunch, checked out the work and just relaxed while they put the bridge back together. I’m a little fuzzy on all the names, but our first planned stop was the little town of Tahsis where there was a retired railroad steam engine on display. Over a hundred years ago a railroad was started on the island, with hundreds of miles of track put to use, but deferred maintenance has closed almost all of it. In the past raw logs were moved to sorting yards by rail car, but due to the closures, the number of logging trucks in use has skyrocketed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Railway_of_Vancouver_Island
As we worked our way North, road conditions went from muddy to partly frozen and then snow covered as we climbed the mountains. In the beginning we had concerns about how much snow we would encounter and how that would affect our route, but for the most part we had little trouble until we attempted a short cut through the mountains. As we continued gaining altitude the snow got deeper. Eventually, once we were within a few miles of our goal, we got stopped by snow that was too deep to plow through. Chris had gone down a hill to check out a bridge below, but he couldn’t continue on due to the snow depth exceeding his ground clearance. Once down the hill he was unable to back up either, so I extended my winch cable to it’s full length and headed down to him until the cable reached. I winched him up to my bumper, but now I was stuck and unable to back up either. John who was behind me extended his cable to my bumper and pulled me back to flat ground where I was again able to finish winching Chris up the hill. The last time Chris attempted that route he was alone and ended up getting his truck stuck. He had to walk out and the truck was there for a month. Fortunately, he was able to raise someone on the radio who met him at a road junction and gave him a ride home. This time he had friends and got out quickly.

Our ultimate goal was Side Bay which is at the North end of the island, and requires crossing a high mountain range. We were afraid there would be too much snow on the road for us to make it, but fortunately with active logging taking place the road was in regular use. A storm the night before had dumped a lot of snow, but as we began heading up the pass we crossed paths with a grader that was plowing the road and it was open the whole way. After a couple nights camped on the beach we headed back up the pass for Port Alice to restock at the store and a quick visit with Chris’s dad who decided to come with us on our way to Holberg. While at his house I got to check out his 2014 Shelby Raptor. The Raptor is a bad ass truck as it comes from Ford, but after Shelby finishes with it, it becomes a super truck. Sadly, I didn’t get to test it. Anyway, after half a day of more snow and mud we pulled into town and had dinner at the local bar/ diner / union hall. That night we camped at a local lake and hit the sack early. By the following morning it was time to start heading home after a week of freezing weather, rain, snow, mud and camp food. I made it as far as Campbell River where I expected to visit a friend on Quadra Island but because he was down with the flu I passed on the visit and after spending the night at the marina I made my way to the ferry in Nanimo and then across the border to Wa.
It was another great trip made even better with Chris as our local guide / navigator. Once again our radios made communications easy and allowed Chris to point out the sites we passed. My Suburban propane heater was invaluable and everything else worked great with the exception of my transfer case which began jumping out of low range again. So, once the weather improves I’ll pull it out again for inspection and possible repair or replacement. Meanwhile, I’m looking forward to the next adventure, perhaps in less freezing weather.

PS, why the hell do some of my photos come out sideways and how do I fix them?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5776.jpg   IMG_5782.jpg   IMG_5785.jpg   IMG_5794.jpg   IMG_5806.jpg  

IMG_5808.jpg   IMG_5820.jpg   IMG_5826.jpg   IMG_5830.jpg   IMG_5836.jpg  

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:18 PM   #2

More sideways photos?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5836.jpg   IMG_5840.jpg   IMG_5843.jpg   IMG_5847.jpg   IMG_5856.jpg  

IMG_5862.jpg   IMG_5875.jpg   FullSizeRender (28).jpg   FullSizeRender (27).jpg   FullSizeRender (29).jpg  

Advanced 4wd
Old 02-24-2018, 05:48 PM   #3

Garage
What a rugged trip. Nice work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2018, 06:45 PM   #4

Garage
Plus 1. Looks like you all had a rugged, but great time. Hope you can get the transfer case fixed for the last time.

For photos, check out this thread: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...pad-21005.html

Also, you might be able to take them in landscape with the volume buttons down and have them be right side up. See this thread: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...one-21110.html

This can also be "fixed" by using a hosting site.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
For photos, check out this thread: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...pad-21005.html

Also, you might be able to take them in landscape with the volume buttons down and have them be right side up. See this thread: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...one-21110.html

This can also be "fixed" by using a hosting site.
The first thread doesn't mention sideways photos, and the second recomends taking landscape with the lens at the top of the phone, which I already do. I end up with some photos showing correctly and others not. Even if I did use a hosting program, I wouldn't know which ones were wrong until I posted them. There must be an easier way.
Advanced 4wd
Old 02-24-2018, 09:05 PM   #6

Great pics Jeff - sideways or otherwise!
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #7
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
GREAT TRIP REPORT!!!! Ah TRIP REPORTS!!!!!!...the BEST of the Forum eh?!?! And Arctic, you NEVER disappoint, thx as always! Who cares about the side pics... I can turn my laptop sideways, LOL! They are fantastic! Put one on the "we must do this" travel list! Thanks again for making a dull February Forum exciting, reminding us to GET OUT IN OUR RIGS and POST IT!!!!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:15 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
The first thread doesn't mention sideways photos, and the second recomends taking landscape with the lens at the top of the phone, which I already do. I end up with some photos showing correctly and others not. Even if I did use a hosting program, I wouldn't know which ones were wrong until I posted them. There must be an easier way.
Sure screwy when it happens sometimes and not others. Sorry the threads didn't help. Didn't know you were already doing the lens at the top.

I believe the issue is related to uploading photos directly to this site. When using a hosting site you use a link to the photo instead. The photo should show however you have it on the hosting site.

It would be great if there was an easier way.

If you would like, I'll take a couple of the photos that didn't load right side up and do an experiment with hosting them on my site.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:17 PM   #9

Thx for sharing your trip to a place many of us will probably never get to visit...especially in the winter!

I’m looking forward to hearing of more Western “Super Natural” B.C. adventures from you.
gbail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:10 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage
Looks like a great trip. Fire on the beach...and all the wood you need. Nice.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote