Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #1

Garage
Weekend In the Tetons

Headed to the Tetons to meet some friends for, most likely, one last Kayak trip in 2012. Took off Friday night after leaving work a little early. Decided to go up and over Pine creek and Teton Pass instead of the Alpine to Hoback to Jackson route. Its a little faster but you have to climb over the two passes. Heading up is no problem, but coming down, especially Teton pass is slow going.

Drove the Moose-Wilson Road into the Park and headed for Jackson Lake Lodge to meet up for dinner. Saw several small heards of elk. One of the heards had a large 6 point bull gathering his harem together. Got there in time for sunset at the back of the lodge. If you haven't been to Jackson Lake Lodge the view from the Lodge is fantastic. It overlooks Willow Flats, Jackson Lake and a great, unobstructed view of the Teton Range.

Got up early Saturday morning to get photos of sunrise at the Oxbow. The water level is low this time of year. They are not letting much water out of the dam. The trees were turning and probably a little past their prime fall color but what a great view.

We floated the Snake River from the dam, down through the Oxbow, and took out at Pacific Creek Landing, probably about 5 or so miles. Its an easy, relaxing paddle. Not much wildlife along the way but we did see 4 bald eagles and a beaver. Hoping to see some moose or elk but not this time.

After a late lunch our friends left and headed through Yellowstone on their way back to Island Park. Kris and I headed for the Oxbow and spent the rest of the afternoon along the river relaxing. Kris mostly napped, but I sat and listened to the elk bugle. There were three of them off in the distance, out of sight, and taking turns letting their voices be heard.

Once evening rolled around we headed for the hills above Triangle X Ranch on the east side of the Park. From there we had panoramic views of the entire Teton Range. Saturday night was a full moon. Twice every year the full moon sets in the morning over the Teton Range so we decided to spend the night there and see what sunset, the moon set and sunrise would bring. Here are a few pictures from that night and the next morning.

On Sunday, we made our way south along the eastern edge of the Park and then along the Gross Ventre River back west and up to String Lake. We recently bought some stand up paddle boards and spent several hours paddling String Lake. The temps were in the upper 60's and sunny and the water is always crystal clear at the lake. Had a great time and stayed mostly dry. No pictures of us paddling but a few from Sunday.

The large moose was on the north end of the Moose-Wilson Road. He was down the hill along a small waterway and was not cooperating very much for pictures. We finally gave up and were about ready to leave and saw him come up the hill briefly and into view. Would have been a good picture but he was several hundred yards away and a large crowd that was following him was already gathering.

Another fantastic weekend in my favorite park. Will get up there several times this winter for some snoeshoeing and photography. Will share more pictures then.

Mike and Kris

Old 10-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Weekend In the Tetons

Great pictures and nice report. Thanks. Looks like a weekend.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #3

Garage

I love seeing Sportsmobiles in their natural setting. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #4

NV
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #5

Must be nice to live that close to a very special place. I'm envious!

How far of a drive is it from your place to the park?

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #6

Garage

Gnarvan,
We live 2 1/2 hours from Jackson and Jackson is 4 miles south of the Park. We quite often bypass Jackson by a few miles and take the Moose-Wilson Road, which heads into the Park just North of Teton Village. Its a 9 mile drive from there to Moose, the Park Headquarters. We quite often see black bears and moose along that stretch. There are also beaver ponds alongside the road on the North end.
The Park is small compared to Yellowstone, which is just 10 miles North of Grand Teton National Park. If we go to Yellowstone, its also about 2 1/2 hours to that Park. We do live in a great location for the two Parks.

Mike and Kris
Old 11-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #7

Garage

dang, we were in the area the the same weekend for my moms b-day. we went up to granite hotsprings for the day. guess i shoulda been paying more attention with my lurking...

you take some great pix, and great pix of places i love. thanks for sharing

ill be driving through poky on 11-25. if your around and dont mind, Id love to check out your setup in person. im picking up my van on the 19th and am really interested in checking out as many setups as I can before I start my build.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #8

Quote:
The large moose was on the north end of the Moose-Wilson Road. He was down the hill along a small waterway and was not cooperating very much for pictures. We finally gave up and were about ready to leave and saw him come up the hill briefly and into view. Would have been a good picture but he was several hundred yards away and a large crowd that was following him was already gathering.
We see that moose every time we are there in that exact spot! Well, that one or one of his family/clan/herd/etc. We always see one there out in the marsh though, and he has never cooperated for our camera either!

Thanks for the pics!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #9

Garage

Shenrie, we'll be driving back from a Thanksgiving weekend and won't be home until late Sunday night. You are welcome to visit and take a look any other time though. I'd love to show you my rig. PM me the next time you are in Poky.

Mike and Kris
Old 11-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #10

Garage

right on, id really appreciate it!

my next journey that way will be the week of christmas. ill pm you when that time gets closer and see if our schedules will allow us to cross paths.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote