Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #31

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
Will spend our down time at Sportsmobile drooling (if someone will come pick us up).
Deminimis,

We were at SMB West the same day with you and your family. My wife an I were there pretty much the whole day while our rig was being worked on. I saw a family with 2 children, I should have introduced my self to you. Maybe next time. Glad you got home safe! Were you able to get the legs for the Goucho?

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:17 PM   #32

Damn! Yup, got the legs (I had cut the other set too short). Did you notice the horns on my kids' heads? We tried to hide them under their hair, but it doesn't always work. Pretty sure Al saw them. Damn uncontrolable that day, but they've been cooped-up in a SMB for two weeks, so hard to blame them. Did you check out the parrothead's new SMB (the one for the West Coast)? Pretty cool.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I carry a couple of chucks, on occasion I've found this valve stem and that chuck don't work together and nothing is worse than not being able to get air in your, or a companion's tires.
Funny, got caught up with various preparations for the trip, and went out and grabbed a crappy little pancake air compressor (110v) at the last minute. Just tossed the guage that came with it into the box-o-parts-n-tools. Later discovered it only went to 50lbs (thought I had another guage along, but didn't). To fill all four from 25 lbs (a good off-road Baja pressure in my opinion) back up to 75-ish would take nearly one hour. A clamp-on chuck would have saved my knees and made the experience less grueling. The hassle of airing up was such a concerned it kept me from airing down as often and as much as I should have. You may wonder how I came to the 25 lb determination. Had been running at 30-35. Ride was good, but found ourselves in some deep, soft beach sand one day when looking for a boondocking spot. Tide was heading back in and we were stuck (and a little worried). Lowered all four to 25, pointed toward the water where there was a nice rock area, and punched right out of the sand. Turned around on the wet rocks (dipping my rear tires into the surf), pointed at our outlet and punched right through the sand without the slightest effort (once the turbo spooled up). So, it seems 25 with my M/Ts was just about right and not too low to spin the tires on the rims or break a bead. Suspect I could have gone lower, but I've never gone so low with such a heavy vehicle that I didn't want to over do it. Anyway, getting a good air setup with several chucks, a powerful compressor, and good deflators, are at the top of my list right now (after I pay off all the associated costs of this trip first). Second: A Tundra 4.2 CU refrigerator (if I don't modify my Nevercold so I can recharge it).
Old 01-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #34

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
Did you check out the parrothead's new SMB (the one for the West Coast)? Pretty cool.
Yes I did. I think they are converting it to Veggie Oil. Did you check out the inside? That rig was the main reason we are really seriously thinking of converting our PH top to a Cruiser top. Anyone interested in a slightly used dark Gray EB Automatic PH top with a safari rack?????

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #35

Scatter took this nice shot when we were boondocking at the south end of Bay of LA. So smooth you could water ski out there.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:58 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfgeek33
Anyone interested in a slightly used dark Gray EB Automatic PH top with a safari rack?????
To bad for me it's an EB, otherwise I was interested...
Good luke with the upgrade.
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:47 AM   #37

Sawzall?

Old 01-14-2009, 12:49 PM   #38

Again a topic going out of tracks...
Who knows, maybe I'll get back to Surfgeek33 if still available. I have already a few ideas.
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:03 PM   #39

Re: We're in Baja!

On the way to El Arco

Inside the church in San Ignacio

The Green Door Trail as it should be

The Green Door Trail as we found it