Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2022, 09:47 AM   #1

West Coast Trip - Advice from California folks

Hey Gang,

I'm looking forward to starting an epic 6 month trip from NM up the west coast into BC then down through MT, WY, CO back to NM.

I'm still hammering out the final details but it looks like I will be making a detour to meet a friend in Seattle for a week+ while I'm still in California in mid April. I was planning on getting up that far north by late May to June as opposed to April, it would be an additional 1600 miles / $600 ish in gas to drive up there and back to CA just for a week.

I'm considering just flying up there from somewhere in CA but I'm nervous about leaving my rig unattended at an airport parking lot / street parking. From what I've seen over the last few years the west coast (CA, OR, WA) has the highest rate of van theft and break ins compared to other parts of the country.

Anyone in California have any recommendations on parking and other ways to avoid getting jacked?

Cheers!

Old 02-25-2022, 10:32 AM   #2

I'm heading out for 2 weeks later this spring. If I can remember to do it (big if) I'm going to pull the fuel pump relay (#17) if I leave the van unoccupied overnight.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 03:59 PM   #3
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Find a forum members driveway or property to park it in for those days, and get a Ravelco
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Find a forum members driveway or property to park it in for those days, and get a Ravelco
Working on it LOL! Yeah someone here actually did DM me about potential parking options.

I don't have a ravelco but I do have a similar ignition interlock security system on it so somewhat comparable just not as fancy or expensive as ravelco.

That's not a bad idea about the fuel pump fuse / relay, that's one more layer of protection how many thieves would have a spare fuse or relay on hand or even know to check that.
Old 02-25-2022, 10:50 PM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
We’ve got some friends that are doing a west coast trip in a new to them Transit build, talked them into adding some layers of protection when they plan on parking for a few days, one being a boot.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 08:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Anderson View Post
Hey Gang,. I 'm considering just flying up there from somewhere in CA but I'm nervous about leaving my rig unattended at an airport parking lot / street parking. From what I've seen over the last few years the west coast (CA, OR, WA) has the highest rate of van theft and break ins compared to other parts of the country. Anyone in California have any recommendations on parking and other ways to avoid getting jacked? Cheers!
As I read your post my first thought was that you need to secure your van. One was stolen last week from the Marriot parking lot by the Seattle airport. Ravelco is a great start. An alarm, tracking device, wheel lock, one wheel removal, backing into a parking place to make it more difficult to tow, parking in a secure gated lot with a guard, are other ideas. Better yet, get a burger bomb, but personally I’d likely forget and bomb myself. https://www.burglarbomb.com/products...141/category=0
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 09:39 PM   #7

Hit me up if you're going to be in the LA area. I can get you access to a very secure place for parking. It's about 10-15 minutes away from LAX.
Adventure4Vets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 10:07 AM   #8

I installed a switch (very concealed) that easily switches off the fuel pump relay while sitting in the van. Kind of a pain in the ass to do and was an effort to find the correct wiring diagram but worth the effort for the peace of mind.
Old 03-03-2022, 11:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Anderson View Post
That's not a bad idea about the fuel pump fuse / relay, that's one more layer of protection how many thieves would have a spare fuse or relay on hand or even know to check that.
.. and just in case a thief has the determination to check the fuse box, one can get a spare fuse, disable it (cut off one leg?) and slip it in when removing the good one. That way the fuses will all appear to be in place if the box is opened, they just wont all work.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 02:15 PM   #10

I'll give you a burned out fuse. I've got plenty.

I do my own wiring.