Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #21

Re: West of LV, East of LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Back on track, here are a couple of images from the area or a bit more south. The last one is actually from Anza Borrego, closer to San Diego. I do need to get out there more and shoot some grander landscapes .....

Wow, those are beautiful pics.

I'm fortunate to live within 2-3 hours of some amazing and remote scenery.
R

Old 02-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone
I'm good with you Jeffery. I still stand by my post... this is jstanley's thread. Let's move all this other embarrassing stuff off of it and let the fellow tell us his story. I'm pretty sure that's what all of the replies that offended you are saying. My offer on the first round still stands.

Come back jstanley... don't let all this clutter and drama stop you from sharing.
agreed.

It is pretty easy to get into the weeds on an internet forum. I do it often myself.

Back on the Mojave Preserve......it remains on my to do list unfortunately.

Not sure whether I should just head out there and explore, or drive the full Mojave road. Hopefully soon.

R
Old 02-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #23

Some people have to always chime in and ruin another persons ......

Can we move one... I do want to thank Jeffrey for posting the link to the NPS site. The private commentary I could do without. I just think it was the wrong time and place to be heard and try to make others feel bad about something you view differently.
Why don't you, Jeffrey, start a new topic on your own and let this forum member who was kind enough to share in his experience feel good about it.

Your negativity is a downer and I felt it important to let it be known. I know that I for one would
love to see the video if it gets posted up with more pics of the camping experience.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #24

forehead--->desk...
*crickets*
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #25

^Hahahaa!
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #26

If you are interested in camping in the Mojave, note that there are tons of spots on BLM land.

If you want the campground experience, I'd recommend Owl Canyon just north of Barstow. It's kind of like a little Red Rock Canyon (which, like many state parks, is falling apart and ridiculously expensive) with lots of fun hiking and fossils. Ramadas in the campground, and firepits. Another nice campground is Afton Canyon, which is one the river, so gets interesting wildlife when it's quiet.

A nice area near the preserve is down by the Granite Mountains; there's a dirt road off the pavement and I think the spot is called Granite Cove or something. It's open camping; basically the Preserve lets you camp anywhere that has been historically used as a campsite, and the rangers say that means if there's a fire ring there you're OK.

The visitor center at the Preserve is awesome; one of the Park Service's best and I'm usually not a fan of the NPS. The old railway depot is great, and it has a fun little café inside. Make sure to check out the old maps in their reading room; they're easy to miss but very informative.

If you are a bit adventurous and have a high tolerance for political incorrectness, the OHV areas around those parts have some good exploring. The Mojave Road, of course, but there are also some other interesting spots. Rasor Road I find particularly interesting, but you probably don't want to be in there on a weekend.

Rob