Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2023, 08:58 AM   #1

West Side Story with SW Idaho Overlanding

I did this trip in my Jeep not my van. The first part of the trip, to the area of our lunch spot along the Owyhee River, is very doable in a van. The part ofter lunch is also doable in a van although the wind may be a challenge in some spots.

My buddy George, from SW Idaho Overlanding, set up this trip to explore the west side of the Owyhee River Canyon. I drove over on Friday and camped near an Oregon Sunstone mine. The next morning I met up with George and the rest of the group near my campsite. We then headed south into the Owyhee Canyon country where we spent the night at the William Griffith Ranch. The next morning we continued south towards Rome, Oregon only to be stopped by snow before reaching the top of the plateau. As a result we had to turn back and retrace our route. The good news was that the clouds had cleared and the wind stopped trying to blow us off the plateau and we had sunny weather and beautiful views of the river.

West Side Story with SW Idaho Overlanding Episode 1

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 11:55 AM   #2

Garage
we sure miss these trips with everyone
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 12:07 PM   #3

Reminder-
Posting on the WWW does not bode well for the preservation of the wild and scenic places we all love and enjoy.
Have we not all seen the detrimental effects of too much attention being brought to unique places? Please keep this in mind when posting.
Ive seen too many places nearly ruined from seemingly harmless postings
The vanlifer hordes are out there living on instascam and trying to make a buck on the next cool spot with more hits than the last spot they ruined

Its time to keep our favorite places left for people to discover on their own
Thanks
Idamanzz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 04:44 PM   #4

Idaho trip

Wow - just my kinda trip ! Thanks so much Larrie for the video - count me in !!
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 05:13 PM   #5

Wow - hats off to Larry for another great video trip ! We ALL need to protect these places and Larrie allows us to see these pioneer places before they're gone. And to this point -
we ALL need to protect these places and strive to keep them as they are today. If you can't honor and respect these places should you visit then DON'T GO THERE ! - PERIOD !

Larrie allows us to see areas most of us will NEVER see - we should all thank him for that.
Respect these areas like they were your own forefathers lands.
Old 05-14-2023, 05:16 PM   #6

Idamanzz 101 -- I couldn't agree more. And yet Larrie shows us places most of us will never get to see in person. _amn those who would desecrate such areas and may they suffer the demons of the road and have many - many flats to fix along the way - never to return --
Old 05-14-2023, 09:59 PM   #7

I am as careful as I can be to keep the interesting locations private when I show the places I have been. I know others are not as careful. If someone wants to do the research they can find a lot of overlooked locations that are great places to camp. I find the research one of the most enjoyable parts of my trips.
Old 05-15-2023, 09:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Ive seen too many places nearly ruined from seemingly harmless postings
The vanlifer hordes are out there living on instascam and trying to make a buck on the next cool spot with more hits than the last spot they ruined
This x1000.
HikeBeerRepeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 04:14 PM   #9

The final episode of our trip into the Owyhee's is now available.

Tags
camping, owyhee, river