Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #1

Where to go near Denver?

We're headed to the Denver area in a couple of weeks and will be staying for a few days with family. I know the floods have wreaked havoc on the West and North areas but am looking for a new place to explore within a few hours of Denver. We're not sure how much time we will have but probably just about 3 days total, maybe 4 if lucky. I thought about going up to the Aspen Alley area, or perhaps over to the north side of Black Canyon, but would love to gather some more ideas. Obviously anything on the west side/Rocky Mtn NP area is out. We're 2WD, just looking for some good camping/hiking. Hookups not needed.

Thanks

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Re: Where to go near Denver?

Hey guys, Steamboat is nice this time of year, I have heard the leaves have started to change up there already. Great hikes and you can go soak after at Strawberry Park hot springs. Feel free to swing by our place up in Boulder, while the flood did do significant damage in areas around town, including our neighborhood, we are not under water, and downtown was largely untouched. Would be fun to catch up......
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
Hey guys, Steamboat is nice this time of year, I have heard the leaves have started to change up there already. Great hikes and you can go soak after at Strawberry Park hot springs. Feel free to swing by our place up in Boulder, while the flood did do significant damage in areas around town, including our neighborhood, we are not under water, and downtown was largely untouched. Would be fun to catch up......
Cool REF, thanks! That would be cool. I've been through Steamboat once but not in several years. We're mostly looking for quiet camping, preferably off the grid since the weather is nice right now. Cold OK, hot NOT OK! I'll be in touch if we can swing up your way. We'll be in Co. Springs for the first few days but have to go to Loveland and see Derek at CCV too.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

You might have a hard time getting up to Derek, 34 was washed out, I emailed him to see if they were doing ok, not heard back yet. I went up there last month to get his torque arms installed. Also, just posted a meet up topic, we're headed to Moab oct 10th-14th if that jives with your trip.

-Rick, Alex and Lake
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
You might have a hard time getting up to Derek, 34 was washed out, I emailed him to see if they were doing ok, not heard back yet. I went up there last month to get his torque arms installed. Also, just posted a meet up topic, we're headed to Moab oct 10th-14th if that jives with your trip.

-Rick, Alex and Lake
Thanks REF. Yes, I know about Derek, and yes, he is washed out. No damage at his house but he won't get home in a 2WD for 8-10 months. He is working in Loveland in a rented space. Pretty sticky situation for them actually. His wife and son were evacuated in a heli a few days after the road flooded out. He stayed on as he is a vol firefighter. They spent about a week carving out a 4WD trail from his neighborhood down to a paved road. Lots of folks live up on Storm Mtn (I think?) where he lives, and they are cut off, period. He still has me scheduled and told me to come on. He is fixing and upgrading a few things for me, and we are going to repaint my top too.

I'll keep you posted!

Old 09-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #6

Still looking for more input on getting off the grid, or close, near Denver. If I don't gather any more ideas I will probably head towards Steamboat or maybe over to the North side of Black Canyon. Anyone got any ideas around Aspen Alley area (Saratoga Wy, Medicine Bow Nat'l Forest)? I'm not sure when the Fall colors will peak out there, it's usually mid to late October over here. I'll be there next week (Oct. 7-11)

Thanks
Old 09-30-2013, 01:27 AM   #7
Site Team

Garage

130 out of Centennial Wy is an awesome drive and there are some nice campgrounds close by. I'll see if I can find the names and post them when I have a chance...

[edit]
OK here are the camps that I looked at. I stayed at Willow. All of them were nice as I recall. There are others up further but they were closed due to snow. I made it there easily from Fort Collins after dropping off a friend when we camped at Rocky Mtn NP.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mbr/recarea/?recid=22862

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #8

Thanks Dave, that area looks pretty nice. From what I see most of the CGs are closed but Willow is open, and free!

Old 09-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

If it rains heavy, watch out! The creek can get out of hand.

I'm surprised all the others are closed but it is getting to that time of year I guess.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
If it rains heavy, watch out! The creek can get out of hand.

I'm surprised all the others are closed but it is getting to that time of year I guess.
Yeah, that seems to be somewhat of a problem around there lately.

Anyone know when the colors are predicted to peak this year? Did I miss it already?