Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2020, 02:29 PM   #41

I remember Murphy Hogback as the most challenging portion of the trip: quite steep, narrow and with some sizable boulders.

As for maneuverability, my Sportsmobile extended van only had to make a few multi-point turns. But I also have significant clearance.

Driveabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:44 PM   #42

We completed the WRT last month, mid September. Two vehicles (SMB and Ford F150) and 9 cyclists. HOT!. Went clockwise. Road in decent shape, probably better than when we did it in 2015. As stated earlier, Murphys and Hardscrabble are the most technical, Murphys ascent has larger obstacles currently, but with a spotter ahead, and good road conditions (no rain), you should be ok. it is a fantastic trip!
Attached Thumbnails
hardscrabble.jpg  
lulupass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:02 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulupass View Post
We completed the WRT last month, mid September. Two vehicles (SMB and Ford F150) and 9 cyclists. HOT!. Went clockwise. Road in decent shape, probably better than when we did it in 2015. As stated earlier, Murphys and Hardscrabble are the most technical, Murphys ascent has larger obstacles currently, but with a spotter ahead, and good road conditions (no rain), you should be ok. it is a fantastic trip!
Very good picture and helpful information.
I am stoked to go drive the WRT... maybe even both directions!
THANK YOU.
Stewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:28 PM   #44
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
One of the best (still) trip reports ever! Glad it was brought up again!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:34 AM   #45

Garage
Ya'll have me convinced to give it a shot with a friend who's rig is a bit beefier than mine for support ;-) Thanks!
Skivvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:37 AM   #46

Thanks for the report and the great photos! I was there a few years back on my KTM dual-sport bike. I planned to spend a few hours going clockwise from the bottom of Shafer Dugway and then turn around and return. I gave up after a few miles because it was so rocky! And I only had two wheels to hit the rocks with - my hat is off to anyone who does this in a van!
SteveTOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:45 AM   #47

I’ve done this several times over the years. My ex and I were one of the first to mountain bike it in 1980, drove it once in a 1988 Toyota Tercel 4x4 station wagon, then a Suzuki Samurai, then an IsuzuTrooper, and then in 1995 my 8 year old son and I rode our Gary Fisher Gemini tandem mountain bike on the route. Tearing down Murphy’s Hogback on that bike was one of the highlights of the whole trail!
Nomadic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:26 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTOaks View Post
Thanks for the report and the great photos! I was there a few years back on my KTM dual-sport bike. I planned to spend a few hours going clockwise from the bottom of Shafer Dugway and then turn around and return. I gave up after a few miles because it was so rocky! And I only had two wheels to hit the rocks with - my hat is off to anyone who does this in a van!
It's definitely slow going in spots in the heavy van. It does get faster in some locations like on the southern tip before the road to the White Crack. It's also pretty past from the top of Mineral Bottom back to the paved road. But there was a lot of crawling along in 4-low.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:43 PM   #49
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulupass View Post

We did the wrt and ended up going from the south point to I think candle stick in a blizzard and then climbed out on snow covered roads the next day. I was in the van and Mon was not happy at parts.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote