Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #1

Winter camping near South Lake Tahoe / Kirkwood?

Like the title says, does anyone know of an area for winter camping near south lake tahoe or kirkwood? I came up to do some snowboarding at Kirkwood but unfortunately i don't get internet access on my verizon card there or at silver lake where i thought i would.

I'm currently roughing it at the zephyr cove rv park and just looking for some options of where i can go.

Also I'm hoping to be up here for a couple weeks so if anyone is in the area and wants to do some hiking, snowshoeing, snowboarding, etc let me know!

Jeff

jeff@work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:59 PM   #2

There are a couple of options.

A. Kirkwood has an overnight/RV lot. It's the middle lot down below their beginner area. In THEORY, you have to pay $25/night, but if you arrive in that lot late, no one cares. That's what we do. Water fillups with a dromedary bag in the bathrooms...

B. Search for CA Sno Parks. These are "snow play" areas around CA and the Sierras. It's like $40 or something for a year long pass. There is one snopark near the summit near Kirkwood, and a bunch of other ones around.

Other than that, it's sneaking around late at night in residential neighborhoods...

PM me if you need more secret sleep spots at Kirkwood.
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:00 PM   #3

Crystal Basin is awesome, but it might be a little out of your way.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:03 PM   #4

Thanks guys. I saw a few of those sno parks as i was driving up to Kirkwood on Saturday and figured they would have some potential.

Sadly i've been needing to do the solar or generator upgrade for a quite a while and i've come to realize in these cold temps up here i can only go about 2 days between recharges on the batteries...being on the laptop and data card for 8 hours a day takes it toll... of course if i just stopped working i could probably go at least 4 days although it might be tough to fill up the old gas tank without paychecks coming in...
Basically this means the zephyr cove rv park is quite the deal for me since i can plug in and recharge the batteries when needed... if you ever need to stay here and the park isn't that full ask to see if they have any specials...they gave me the "locals" rate and it's 50% off... not really sure why locals would need to stay at an rv park though lol

i did crash out at kirkwood overnight on saturday, i just tried to keep it low profile and kept the top down and no one bothered me... cause you know...big 4x4 vans with popup roofs blend in so well
jeff@work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:17 PM   #5

Just down the road (east on 88) from Kirkwood is Blue Lakes Road, and you can camp along the side of the road - they don't plow most of the road. There is no fee, and all you need is the winter sno-park permit ($25.00). The only downside is this is where the vehicles park with snow mobiles so you have to get there early to get a space and your taking a chance if you leave - if you're staying more than one night.
cobblecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote