Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2021, 11:44 AM   #11

If your goal is to see the park (as opposed to remote camping in the area) I'd say stay in the park. That way you avoid all the traffic going in and out of the park and can enjoy the park with fewer people early in the morning and later in the evening. I was surprised at how crowded it was even outside of the park. Personally the commute in and out of the park diminishes the experience.

flgrb50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:09 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish View Post
It’s been a few years since I have been down there but shadow mountain had plenty of spots to camp with awesome views of the Tetons and the snake river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDB View Post
All kinds of wonderful off grid camping in the Gros Ventre wilderness just outside of Jackson. Higly recommended.

I agree, both are nice areas for that end of Teton Park. Lots of bear signs warning folks to stay alert up at Crystal Cr CG. The drive along the Snake river is nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Crystal Cr 1.jpg   YELLOWSTONE 2010 102ph.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 02:26 PM   #13

We almost always go in the Fall! There are far fewer people
( usually), and the kids are back in school. Our last visit about 5 years ago gave us great views of a small Wolf-pack trying for deer and/or buffalo. That was in the NE quarter along the river. Fascinating to watch!
Hope you have such luck....and a great time too!
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 02:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgrb50 View Post
If your goal is to see the park (as opposed to remote camping in the area) I'd say stay in the park. That way you avoid all the traffic going in and out of the park and can enjoy the park with fewer people early in the morning and later in the evening. I was surprised at how crowded it was even outside of the park. Personally the commute in and out of the park diminishes the experience.

I was referring to Yellowstone. For GTNP the suggestions are good.

If you're planning on hiking there's good access from the Driggs (West) side that has some pretty camping. The catch is there is limited dispersed camping and it's not nearly as spectacular as the East side until you hike in a bit - then it's spectacular without the crowds.

I used to spend a few weekends every summer up there when I lived in Utah. Now that I'm in AZ last summer was the first time I had been back in years.

Years ago I summited the Grand Teton.
Attached Thumbnails
Grand Teton_0001_a.jpg  
flgrb50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:13 AM   #15

Yes " Gros Ventre" area is great.
I've been about 25 miles up stream from Jackson...beautiful and plenty of camping spots.
I was in Jackson in Oct and it was packed.....just kept going north.
Lots of Bears so be careful...saw 9 bears in a short 2 hour period between TNP and Yellowstone NP.
Have fun great area............
HighcountryMike 2003 E350 7.3 4X4 SMB 285,000
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:34 PM   #16

Garage
Thanks for the info

Thanks for all of the input everyone!

Shadow Mountain looks great on Google Earth and we will check it out when in the Tetons area.

The Medicine Wheel would be an amazing location to see. But probably out of our range for this trip. The pictures and 10k elevation is amazing.

I like the "sit back and enjoy" when in traffic around YSNP. It's time to gear down and not rush through for sure.
Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote