Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2018, 10:28 PM   #1

Question Yosemite area camping end March - too snowy? campsites? tips?

Yosemite area camping end March - too snowy? campsite recommendations? any other tips?

Hi all - title say it all

We are thinking of going to Yosemite and area end of March. Camping in a 4x4 pop up truck camper that does have propane heat. (so one self contained 20’ vehicle) - a rental to try one out.

I know the weather can vary a lot… and we may be limited as to where we can go, due to weather, but any general advice about that time of year?

and campsite recommendations inside or just outside Yosemite?

I know it can be next to impossible to reserve ahead a site (we have tried in the past and never get a site when the ‘window’ opens.)

but also sometimes people get lucky just showing up at campsites and seeing if there are any openings.

Thanks for any and all tips.

J.

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:49 AM   #2

Your odds are ok of getting lucky on a site. In the cold weather, more people will leave early or cancel/no show.

It's a complete tossup but your odds are very good for having great weather. But snow in Yosemite - that would be a real treat - so make the most of it if you get dumped on.

I did the "staying outside Yosemite" or in the outer camp sites and it's a complete pain in the neck. I'd make every effort to camp in the valley.

The one thing that's awesome to do outside Yose is the Yosemite Sugar Pine Railroad. Must do :-)
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:59 AM   #3

Garage
Last year's first week of March was a three day snowstorm. As a photographer it was spectacular. I camped in Lower Pines. Easy.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:48 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage
The valley can become a big freezer during the earlier winter months if the storms are heavy. The only thing is the park closes all but which camps they need to leave open, so some times you get stuck close to other campers. I've always been able to find a place provided it's not a holiday. Mid March flower bloom is usually starting in the lower hills below the park. Merced River Rec area is a nice place at that time of year and you should usually be able to find a camp especially on a weekday. No water/garbage service but there are vaulted heads. About 10 bucks per night. Yosemite isn't too far away and the drive is an easy scenic stroll along the Merced river into the park. Wawona on 41 might be another solution at lower altitude. There is another thread going about spots around Yosemite that might be worth a look. Have fun, it's one of the times I don't mind going into the valley.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote