Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2021, 09:56 PM   #1
Gone Traveling

For Michael_l

@Michael_l

This is the issue you enquired about. The camber is out of spec by .5 degrees because the outer C balljoint pocket can only be adjusted so far to pull the top of the tire inwards before it makes contact with the inner C on the I-beam. At that point no further adjustment is possible without either using a grinder to remove metal from the outer and inner C, or by bending the I beam more.

I circled the issue in red..... obviously this is not a ford van but you get the idea.

Your other question was are all of the kits the same? I can not comment on that beyond saying that my rig had two of the kits installed and they both had the exact same issue.

With that said, it poses the question.. what exactly defines .5 degrees out of spec. The factory generally gives you some acceptable leeway either direction + or - the optimal setting. So is .5 degrees out of spec .5 degrees from optimal or is it .5 degrees from being just acceptable which could equate to 1.0 degrees from optimal.

I have some alignment printouts someplace so i could look at them. But after everything else i had no desire to mess with the stuff any further than i already have. I dont see any reason that a person couldnt gain at least .5 degrees of adjustment by grinding the C's a small amount. I just wasnt willing to dismantle it, grind on it, reinstall it, and then pay for another alignment, just wasnt gonna happen.

What is the obvious issue here? Based on my experience, the I-beams are not being bent far enough causing the tire to sit to far out at the top. It doesnt matter what fancy alignment bushing you use in an attempt to solve the problem because the balljoint can only be pulled inwards so far before it contacts the I-beam.

I did contact the manufacturer and their recommendation was what i told you. Grind the inner and outer C's to get more adjustment. I just wasnt willing to invest anymore time than i already had.

I suppose its possible that the frame on my truck is tweaked but it didnt have the issue with stock parts, so i think its highly unlikely.
Attached Thumbnails
giantmotorsports_F-150_I-Beam_kit_1.jpg   Untitled.jpg  

BoxterRocks is offline   Reply With Quote