Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2022, 02:47 PM   #1

2 Inch Lift in Rear of E350 2WD - Suggestions Needed

I have been researching all day looking into 2" blocks and new longer U-bolts.

I want to raise the rear of the van 2" to get a little bit more clearance.
My springs are fine and I don't carry very much weight. I do have some stuff mounted underneath that I would feel better if there was more clearance.

I would like to know what blocks fit. Do blocks from an f250 or f350 fit? If so what year? What are the dimensions and is the pin 9/16? For a 2" lift is it a good idea to get a slightly tapered block so the drive pinon stays aligned? My springs measure 3". The blocks for the F350 are 2.5". I think this may be fine. What about block construction? Cast iron or welded steel with internal bracing?

I have the stock rear axle. My current u-bolts are about 7.5 inches long and measure to be 16mm with an inside spacing of 3-5/8". I will need 9-1/2" or more for the new ones. My axle diameter is 3.5". All the u-bolts are 9/16 or 5/8. The holes in the top plate look like there is room for the 5/8" u-bolt. I think either the 3.5 or 3-5/8 bolts will fit although I am leaning to the 3-5/8" ones that are 5/8" thick.

Rough Country may make everything I need and the prices are not bad at $40 for the bolts and $35 for the blocks, that is if they are suitable.

I can't believe how involved it is for something that seems so simple.
Any links to parts that fit or suggestions or overlooked aspects are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1870.jpg  

antmanbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:09 PM   #2

Get a angle finder and measure you pinon angle before and after your block install.
Your probably fine but take a look at your brake lines to be sure they can work with the added height.

FYI my 2003 and 2016 F350s have 3" springs
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:53 AM   #3

The blocks that I am considering from Rough Country are in the kit #6582 for a ford F250. I think they will work but I am not sure and that is why I am asking if anyone has any experience with blocks for an Econoline. These blocks have a 2 degree taper for the pinon angle.

I think the brake line will work but it will be close. I will have to jack up the body and let the suspension drop to see how much slack there is in the line.

I am not familiar with the Ford rear axles between the trucks and the vans to know what is interchangeable. The u-bolts in the kit are the right size for thickness and distance in the U but are too long.
Old 07-12-2022, 01:36 PM   #4

For what it is worth, I used the following rear-end blocks from Maxx-Lift a few years ago on my 2WD 2002 E250 Pleasure-Way Traverse (and put in some new Moog's up front to gain about 2" of lift).

1999 2012 E250 E350 REAR 2 INCH BLOCK KIT

No problems with brake line lengths or pinion angle.
Senorkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 07:23 PM   #5

Senorkc, I searched and could not find what you used. If you could, please provide a link.
Thanks for the info on the brake line length.
I had talked to Tiger at Quigley and he told me that the blocks should have 5/8 pins and holes. The springs have a 7/16 hole for the bolt that holds the assembly together but the blocks have to accommodate the nut on the spring bolt so need to be 5/8.
Old 07-15-2022, 07:56 AM   #6

Apparently Maxx Lift has now moved/partnered with FordPartsOne. It looks like the blocks I ordered a few years ago (2" angled rear blocks for an E-250) are now listed under this link:

https://fordpartsone.com/products/e3...ft-kit-2-inch/ (Maxx Lift)

For the front, I went with progressive Moog coils (CC880S) that I just bought online from Amazon or some other site.

I am very pleased with the lift and ride and now run 265/70R16's that do not rub at all with no trimming required.
Old 07-15-2022, 08:05 AM   #7

For comparison, my 2" lifted 2WD Traverse running 265/75R16's (I think I incorrectly listed them as 70-series in my previous post) is on the left and my friends unlifted Traverse is on the right. I think he is running 225's or possibly 245's.
Attached Thumbnails
2021-06-13 08.29.50.jpg  
Old 07-15-2022, 08:51 AM   #8

Thanks senorkc, I will be running the stock tires on my e350. The reason I am lifting is not for larger tires or excess weight. I need a couple of inches more clearance because I have a mini-split attached to the underside of floor just behind the differential and also because I will be installing a motorcycle rack into my receiver hitch. The van is an EB, so the overhang is already quite a bit. I am just worried about scraping something. The van is actually running fairly light. With the bike on the back and the van loaded I should be in the neighborhood of 1100-1200lbs. That includes my solar, batteries, heat-pump, water, tools, appliances, cabinets, bed, etc.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:10 AM   #9

Finished my 2" lift this morning. Everything fit perfectly.
I used BDS parts.
Blocks, 2" Pin Size 5⁄8 Hole Size 11⁄16" Taper 2.3° Part# 069207 $39.32
https://bds-suspension.com/product-display?sr=069207
And, 5⁄8" 3-5⁄8" 10" Round Part# 4032 $13.84
https://bds-suspension.com/product-display?sr=u-bolts