Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2022, 12:35 PM   #1

2 Post lift for my shop, what to buy?

Getting closer to buying a 2 post lift for my shop, anybody in here have any input? Wanting an open top for the CCV topped van.

What weight class did you buy?
What is the amount of lift that works the best?
What to avoid?
What would you do differently in your purchase and install?
Anyone have one mounted outside?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 02:47 PM   #2

I have a Bendpak XPR-10. It lifts regular roof vans enough that I can stand under it. Had my shop slab been thicker, I would have purchased a 12k lbs lift. The height of the shop (and the slab) limits me this this style of lift. Should I move into a larger space, I would opt for open top or extended height 12k lifts for van work. This current lift is perfect for the non-van related stuff I do.

The overall quality of the Bendpak is good. I went to a lot of shops and looked at a lot of different brands before I purchased and I just couldn't justify the cost of the Rotary brand...it didn't appear to be THAT much better. There a few things I did on my own when I did the installation that made things a little better (I upgraded some hardware in a few places and did some touchup work on rough edges). I had two issues during install that were inconvenient but Bendpak responded fast and replaced parts quickly. If I had had someone else install this, I guarantee that they wouldn't have caught the broken thread in one of the hydraulic fittings that I noticed (which turned out to be a cracked fitting) and they would have just tightened down on the thing and left.

Other than standing the posts upright, which I had some help for, I did the installation solo and it wasn't that bad. I wouldn't do another one solo though.

This is one of those shop tools that you'll wonder why you didn't buy it sooner. It's been very integral to my work for the last several years. That said, if I were in the market for another lift, I wouldn't even consider the "budget" brands. I've been under a few of those and they give me a weird feeling in my gut every time. The low cost lifts are made with lighter gauge materials and what looks like "speedy" and "low skill" processes.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 04:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
This is one of those shop tools that you'll wonder why you didn't buy it sooner. It's been very integral to my work for the last several years. That said, if I were in the market for another lift, I wouldn't even consider the "budget" brands. I've been under a few of those and they give me a weird feeling in my gut every time. The low cost lifts are made with lighter gauge materials and what looks like "speedy" and "low skill" processes.
I couldn't agree more. I have a 12k Derek Weaver lift and even with the top support I can lift vans on 35's and SMB pop top/rack almost high enough to stand under. I can only find a 10k just like mine on their website now but mine looks just like this:

https://www.derekweaver.com/rodders-...d-2-post-lift/

Here it is with a van on it not lifted about a foot from the support bar but I have my support bar on the lowest height setting due to the ceiling of my shop. Note the high rack on that van and there is still a foot or more above it. Just FYI, your comfort level under a 10k van more than 6' in the air will go away quickly. You may think you want those things that high up in the air but it doesn't inspire confidence. I'm happy to lift most vans a few feet and roll around under them with on a stool.

I also steered clear of the cheapest ones out there and found a happy medium in the one I bought. 5 or so years ago it was $2400, looks like they've gone up a lot. Weaver branded lifts are made by VSG (Vehicle Service Group) who make Rotary Lift and other common ones.

I recommend getting a Certified lift no matter what you buy, read this page:

https://www.derekweaver.com/learn/ce...he-gold-label/

Something else many don't know or think to ask. If you order one of these it will come on an 18 wheeler in one really big package. About 2' wide by 12' long by 4' high all broken down and crated. You'll need to have it delivered to a dock with a forklift. I had mine delivered to a friend's business and I used the forklift to unload it from the flatbed it came on. I completely overloaded my poor trailer getting it home but it was only a couple miles. If you can drill concrete and wire an 240v outlet the rest is cake.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:45 PM   #4

Great info so far.
The CCV top adds close to 20" of height to a stock van height. Add the lift from being a 4x4 and larger tires and the frame rails soon get to be close to 2' off the ground and an overall height close to 10' tall. To have extenders (to meet the frame) even half that height makes me nervous.
The whole point (for me) in having a lift is to be able to stand upright underneath the van (I'm 6'3").

I like the strength of the top bar design but I just don't see how it's possible with this kind of van.
The 6' in the air part doesn't bother me. If it's falls, 4' or 6' your spam either way.

I think the key as said above, don't go cheap and don't go with a low weight rating.
The costs can vary $5k for what sounds like comparable lifts. The hard part is the balance between cost/budget and a long lasting safe lift
Denver, CO
Old 02-07-2022, 05:40 AM   #5

Try the purple wave auction site for used units. I see them come up quite a bit, you get fair auction price at no reserve.
Dearranged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 06:37 AM   #6
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
2 Post lift for my shop, what to buy?

I’ve purchased a few items from Roller auction in Denver, I’ve seen a decent number of lifts come through over the years. No idea of quality, but there’s such a range, I’ve seen whole auto shop inventory be auctioned off.

https://www.rollerauction.com

This one went last month

https://www.rollerauction.com/auctio...Enabled=false#
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 06:57 AM   #7

If I had unlimited budget and space for a 2-post lift for working on vans, I'd get a Mohawk lift. One of the main reasons is the hydraulic pipe between them isn't a fixed part, so you can make it whatever max height required - so you could have a high-roof van on the lift and still be able to walk under it.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:05 AM   #8

I have an Atlas PVL12 from Greg Smith Equipment. It was really good for the diesel Sportsmobile. Though they seem to have doubled in price over the last 4 years....
Attached Thumbnails
20201020_135442.jpg  
13-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 04:44 PM   #9

Great info and appreciated tremendously. One aspect of the lifts I saw no comment on was asymmetrical or symmetrical. Any input on this. I have been looking for 4 years and have not pulled the trigger. This will help. I poured the side house driveway last year. The drive concrete is 5" and where the lift will go I went with a footing section 4' long10" deep. I ran conduit from the breaker box to before the extra footing slabsection then underneath to the opposite side. I was not sure if I needed power on both sides but at least I'll have 220v for a welding plug. Please talk about whether asy.. or sym... and it's benefit. I am thing equal length since the vans driver door is further forward than a car?
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 04:52 PM   #10

In my research I haven't found a asymmetrical lift that can handle the 10,000+ weight range of a loaded van. Doesn't mean they make them, I just haven't found one.

I'm looking for a 11,000 to 12,000 lift
Denver, CO