Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2024, 09:05 AM   #41

awg /number of conductors , but you are correct that many times Romex is labeled as 10/2 with a bare ground. Being that I generally use marine wire it would be called 10/3 as all the three wires have individual sheathing white/black/green.

Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 01:22 AM   #42

Shout out to Greg for talking me through some final adjustments to my schematic:

* Deleted the "80A HI-AMP BUS" that SMB installed
* Added a + and - bus bar rated at 250 amps

Note that I'm still missing a couple things that I haven't settled on yet because I can't find a product that I like or that will fit:

* Appropriate fuses for the MPPT and DC-DC charger battery + (as Greg pointed out, these fuses protect the wires from overcurrent)
* A PV disconnect a switch that disconnects positive and negative simultaneously to reduce potential for arcing

A bunch of more stuff arrives today so hopefully I can get to work laying it all out soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Van Electrical Schematic (4).jpg  
Old 06-11-2024, 06:20 AM   #43

I would use resettable breakers for these. I love Blue Sea but they are pricey. I do NOT trust the cheap no names on Amazon. I have had several fail and I have no faith that they are anywhere near accurate in their ratings.

There are a few Amazon sellers that I have come to like and trust on these:

T-Tocas
Bussman/Buss
Blue Sea (as noted above)

There is a new brand on Amazon called Young Marine, perhaps not new but I've just started seeing it. Anything with a brand name that doesn't sound like the typical Amazon Chinese knock off made up name (if you know what I mean) is usually a safe bet.
This is assuming you are shopping on Amazon, of course, which I usually do but only because I'm lazy.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 08:29 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
awg /number of conductors , but you are correct that many times Romex is labeled as 10/2 with a bare ground. Being that I generally use marine wire it would be called 10/3 as all the three wires have individual sheathing white/black/green.
Interesting....never played with marine wire..... Are the three insulated conductors in a jacket? Assuming stranded wire.....

Edit: Just looked it up....stranded with a jacket..looks like romex
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 12:34 PM   #45

Progress!

After tens of hours at the laptop researching, shopping, and ordering, I am finally back in the shop making headway.

Yesterday, was another Christmas-like day with 3-4 packages from McMaster and Amazon arriving.

It's a little financially daunting to invest in tools like a heavy duty crimper that I'll use once every blue moon but this is the journey I'm on with each project. I'm enjoying fleshing out the capabilities of my shop such that future projects are easier and require less laptop time researching and ordering tools and materials.

I'm very satisfied with the compression lugs I crimped onto the 3/0 wire. Of course, I don't have enough! Didn't actually count how many ends I would end up having, to be honest. So more are on the way. Also need more heat shrink too.

I'm also very happy with the silicone terminal cover protector. The battery side of these cables is coming along really nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  
Old 06-12-2024, 12:38 PM   #46

Discovered the SMB MDF table! I wanted to find a piece of matching MDF to recreate the front of the cabinet. Didn't search to hard to be honest because I was also OK using a different material. Then, last night, I turn around in my shop and see the old SMB table, which I never understood how to use. It's pristine on one side. I created a template for the new layout making some slight adjustments to the position of the main panel and creating space for the digital multi control.

Pictured here is the original white plastic vent hole cover. But I imagine before I'm done, there will be a fan here instead.

Another decision I made was to use a scrap piece of thin particle board to begin the layout of components under the bench. Ultimately, I'd like to make this out of MDF too but I want most of the wiring to happen on the back side (behind the main breaker panel inside that compartment). I figured, it would be smart to half step between the layout in my schematic and final. This way I can make mistakes and not have to sweat every hole and cut.

It's VERY surreal to have my theoretical schematic that I agonized over on the monitor in front of me, while actually laying this products out IRL on my workbench.
Attached Thumbnails
4.jpg   5.jpg   6.jpg   7.jpeg   15.jpeg  

16.jpeg   17.jpg  
Old 06-12-2024, 12:55 PM   #47

This MultiPlus is not light and moving it around is very cumbersome.

There are a few reasons why I decided to mount it up in the air.
  1. The wheel well encroaches on its position on the floor. If I were to clear the wheel well the MultiPlus has to not only be more forward (toward the front bumper), which encroaches onto the back of my equipment and cabling panel, but also forces it forward towards the main panel (toward the passenger side).
  2. Airflow. It's already in a very small space that Victron would probably not approve of. The more airflow I can get around this device the better.
  3. I need space for some wiring that won't be exposed, critically my bus bars. I will be installing them on the floor under the MultiPlus.
  4. The pre-existing hole through the floor for the battery, which by the way miraculously fits two 3/0 cables where it previously only had one!!!, just so happens to be right in the way. To clear it, I was going to have to get the MultiPlus in the air.

I started by using wood blocks with L-brackets to get the device positioned and level. I didn't like the idea of using that as the final solution but I was getting more comfortable with it given the materials at my disposal. Then I was struck with an idea! I had remaining aluminum angle from my roof rack! So I busted out my hand saw and took traced the outline of where the rails would need to be cut.

With the struts created, I mounted one to the front using the existing holes and fasteners intended for the top cover of the MultiPlus. I've decided to do away with this part entirely, since it will allow for better airflow (the fans point directly to the vent on the front of this enclosure).

The strut in the back, required two holes to be drilled into the MultiPlus aluminum. I used fasteners and nuts to mount the strut to the MultiPlus frame.

On the wall-side, I used two screws directly into the MDF. The front (formerly top) of the MultiPlus rests on a screw through a gap in the frame. The back has a hole through the frame, through which another screw is set.

I don't think this is rattle proof yet and given that there will be 200A of bus bars underneath this very heavy metal box, I'm going to probably add one more piece of aluminum angle to the MDF to create a shelf, on which MultiPlus can sit. I will also fasten the struts to the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
8.jpg   9.jpg   10.jpg   11.jpg   12.jpg  

13.jpg   14.jpg  
Old 06-12-2024, 01:03 PM   #48

Very nice crimps! I have the same crimper but it's an Ebay special and lasted through about 4 crimps. I now use the dies in my bench vise; works quite well.

The shrink gives the cables a very pro look.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 09:56 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
I now use the dies in my bench vise
Pro tip... Bingo!
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 05:41 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Very nice crimps! I have the same crimper but it's an Ebay special and lasted through about 4 crimps. I now use the dies in my bench vise; works quite well.

The shrink gives the cables a very pro look.
I was going to say the same. So which crimper should I not order?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote