Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2020, 07:46 PM   #1

2013 Door Panels on 04 Chinook E-350

I installed some 2013 E-350 door panels onto my 2004 Chinook Concourse.
Now the window buttons light up and the drivers window has the auto feature where you momentarily press the down button and it automatically goes all the way down without holding the button.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01378.jpg  

Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:45 PM   #2

Nice! Where did you get the panels?
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:47 PM   #3

The local salvage yard. I picked them up for $50 dollars each complete. I also snagged the inside and outside side window felts because mine were worn out.

I went there looking for the plastic piece that the driver window switches mount in because i broke mine when i popped it off last time to change my speakers. I saw the wrecked 2013 sitting there and since they didnt have the piece i needed for the old panel, i just decided i would swap them out.

I never cared much for the 2004 door panels. Wiring up the window switches was easy peasy, the door locks on the other hand is a royal pain in the ass.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:48 PM   #4

Wow that was a find. Where is your salvage yard? I may need to move!
Old 09-17-2020, 09:55 PM   #5

Last time i priced some was about a year ago at another salvage yard and they wanted $350 for a pair, so i said no thanks. But i couldnt pass on $100 for the pair complete, plus the window felts. But its a U-pull it type of place, meaning i had to yank them off of the van myself. Self Service...
Old 09-17-2020, 10:08 PM   #6

Yeah, that was a score.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook View Post
....and it automatically goes all the way down without holding the button.
I feel the same every time I click that button. One of my favorite creature comforts about the van without a doubt
Old 09-18-2020, 01:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook View Post
Wiring up the window switches was easy peasy, the door locks on the other hand is a royal pain in the ass.
Every other thread I have seen on door panel swaps says that wiring up the windows switches is the hard part. Do you have any pics or additional information on how you did the wiring? I would like to do the same swap if it really is that easy!
Old 09-19-2020, 06:50 AM   #9

The window switches are pretty easy to figure out. You can get all the wiring diagrams from https://www.eautorepair.net/ if you dont have access to them someplace else.

Be warned you have to pay for each vehicle manual, so you will be paying for two manuals, one for your truck and one for the vehicle your new panels were removed from. Its the first time i used them and i had no issues, the wiring schematics were dead on accurate and correct. Dont be guessing and assuming that you have a correct diagram. Check and double check all wires involved and make certain you have the correct diagrams. You could easily melt something or start a fire.

There is no simple solution for the power windows. Those wires have to be cut and hard wired to the new style switch sockets after you remove the old sockets.
The door lock system on the otherhand requires additional measures in order to make it function.

The new door lock switches on the otherhand are not designed to transfer voltage loads.

With that said you have to figure out how to take a switch not designed to carry loads and make it work with your existing system design. Its not that complicated. Heres a hint, get yourself a door lock switch from your older van and take it apart, that simple switch does multiple things when you press it. You can take the cover off of them using a pocket knife or a small screw driver. Look at the internals and how it functions. Take your OHM meter and figure out exactly what it is that switch is doing keeping in mind that there are at least two switches in your truck for door locks all tied into the same system. This is the giveaway as to what you need to do in order to make the new switches work with your old system.

Be warned, you can easily melt wires, blow fuses, destroy actuators, and switches if you dont know what your doing. Im considering building conversion units and selling them to recover what i spent on wiring diagrams, time, and the switches i destroyed figuring out how to make it work. But then again some people can destroy a steel ball in a sandbox with a rubber hammer, not sure i want to be liable for someone burning up their wiring, switches, or worst.

I saw one post where the guy cut up the switch holders and modified them to hold the old door panel switches. Maybe thats a more appropriate solution to accomplish your goal in order to avoid messing with wiring?

How much would you be willing to pay if someone built a plug and play controller that allowed swapping to newer style door panels if it simply plugged into the existing wiring harness in your doors and new panels, eliminating any need to cut or splice wires on your truck? Keeping in mind that building such a plug and play system would cost approximately $150 dollars per pair to build?
Old 09-19-2020, 07:53 PM   #10

I made a brief video to show that these panels and switches can all be made to function properly on earlier model vans. https://youtu.be/4hfKqa74R_4

Doesnt really appear to be any interest in the topic so im guessing its really not a project worth wasting time on at this point. But for you nay sayers and those saying it cant be done.... it can be done and they do work properly.