Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2016, 06:16 PM   #1

2wd and locker

Am thinking about adding an ARB locker to my 2wd van. Is anyone here running this setup? Am interested in hearing your about your experience with this setup.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:59 PM   #2

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
It is the same as a 4-Wheel Drive with ARB when the front is not engaged...

A locked rear axle will get you a lot of places, especially if you carry a little momentum when you need it.

When the front tires become a drag (sand, mud...) and the rear tires are in the same loose stuff, front driven wheels are the way to keep going.

You can do some crazy stuff with just a locked rear axle.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:30 PM   #3

Don't mind me, just subscribing to this thread for future reference.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:23 PM   #4

Some relevant info here: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ons-16470.html
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:40 AM   #5

Garage
I have installed a couple of the Spartan lockers in the semi float Dana 60s with 35 spline axles. They have to be custom machined to allow c-clip clearance, but they have been good for about a year now. They are a bit noisy compared to others, but I have never been stuck and I do a lot of work in sandy terrain.

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:19 PM   #6

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your comments and the links to the other threads. Need to do some more thinking and research.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:53 AM   #7

I've taken my 2WD with LSD in the rear to places where it doesn't really belong. I prefer a LSD/TrueTrac style over a 100% locker on the street, especially on snow or ice.
The LSD/TrueTrac style always gives you more traction than the open diff. On snow/ice you have either 0 or 100% with an ARB.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
I have installed a couple of the Spartan lockers in the semi float Dana 60s with 35 spline axles. They have to be custom machined to allow c-clip clearance, but they have been good for about a year now. They are a bit noisy compared to others, but I have never been stuck and I do a lot of work in sandy terrain.

Scott
Any problems with the semi float reliability? Thats what I have and it's keeping me from building it because I'd hate to throw money at an inferior axle!
DerPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #9

I'd certainly invest in ground clearance before a driven front axle. Beyond that, there's a lot to be gained by scouting tricky sections and then taking them with some momentum. I don't have experience with lockers, but an lsd goes a long way in terms of not having to back up and re-try. I'd bet a locker would go even further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
I've taken my 2WD with LSD in the rear to places where it doesn't really belong. I prefer a LSD/TrueTrac style over a 100% locker on the street, especially on snow or ice.
The LSD/TrueTrac style always gives you more traction than the open diff. On snow/ice you have either 0 or 100% with an ARB.
On snow/ice you want a modern awd system with sensors and traction control. I was lucky and ended up with a decent one in '02, but most of the others have caught up by now. A locked center with open diffs on the axles is better than 2wd and nothing, but not much. Adding an LSD just means you're less likely to get stuck, but will be sliding (just a little) through almost every turn. It's manageable, and works, but it's nothing compared to modern traction control.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote