Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2018, 06:23 AM   #1

Location: On an island in the Western basin of lake Erie Ohio
360 degree view around your vehicle...

My van is gutted and ready to run some wires. I was wondering if anyone had installed or seen a camera system similar to this.

My objective is to have a 360-degree view of my surroundings. Would love to incorporate a dash cam recording device and if it could go a step further would be nice to run a GPS map system from the monitor also. Maybe a second monitor in the sleeping area for night time security.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Patrick

QuigRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:52 PM   #2

Garage
https://www.rearviewsafety.com/360-systems

Have a look here. I bought a back up cam from them, so far so good.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:34 PM   #3

I found a similar one and asked SMB-W about having it incorporated on my rig. They have a sound and electronics guy whom they brought in who had folded his business into theirs. This fellow was adamantly opposed to it to the point of being rude. He would only do the system they ordinarily use that allows for two cameras. I did become convinced that the split mirrors on the Sprinter are so well designed that there is no worry about blind spots on either side of the vehicle, however. They are functionally much better than the mirrors I had on my Chevy based Tiger.

The 2019 Sprinters will have a factory option for a 360° video system.

Sorry, I know this doesn't help you much, but am including it in case it's helpful to other readers interested in this topic.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:48 PM   #4

Garage
I would remind the rude fellow as to who is signing the check and have a chat, polite or otherwise, with the manager.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:56 PM   #5

They give him the autonomy to make the decision. I explained what I was interested in and showed him a link on the computer. Sounding like a drill sergeant he forcefully stated, "You can take it somewhere else and do that if you want to, but I won't do it." It wasn't like, "Sorry, but that just isn't something we are interested in installing." He actually seemed angry. I have no idea at all where his agitation came from. I was flabbergasted. Maybe he was having other work or home problems. IDK. But anyway, enough of this and back to the thread topic.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #6

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/360-systems This system seems interesting. Going to research it.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:05 PM   #7

Garage
On my installation, I wish I had gotten a camera with a microphone, as there is an audio component in the system. That would make backing up to hitch a trailer or launch a boat a little easier. Good luck with it. Let me know if I can provide any insight on the installation should you decide to proceed. GH
Old 05-20-2018, 04:57 AM   #8

I just got back from Germany where I rented a Nissan SUV that had a 360 camera system like these shown. It was amazing! If you’ve ever tried to park a bigger vehicle in European parking garages or cities, you’ll immediately appreciate the usefulness of a system like this. I’m sure it would be useful on a bigger vehicle like an SMB.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:35 AM   #9

Brian, do you know if it was after market system or built in from Nissan? Also if I may ask, did it have the "birds eye" view? I was not particularly interested in that, but if you like it and think it is useful in parking I might be now.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #10

It was OEM from Nissan. Had a sort of birds-eye view, but not as much as in that Mercedes video. Not quite sure how they achieve that view, but it was cool.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote