Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2021, 02:14 PM   #1

5.4 super charger or turbo

Hello everyone, has anyone found a Supercharger kit or Turbo kit for a 5.4 2-250 or 350? Thank you in advance. Joe

Futrmbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:07 PM   #2

Garage
Pretty tight engine bay for all the components of a kit. Doubt anyone makes a specific kit, but you could build one out of a universal kit if you were mechanically inclined.

STS also has universal kit with a remote mount turbo. We installed one on a firebird 15 or so years ago and no one was too impressed with the final numbers. There was just so much boost loss with all that piping that what little made it back to the tb was so insignificant it just didn’t translate to much added HP. They may have made advances over the years, but not sure how you would ever get rid of all the boost loss due to 20’ + of piping.

Bottom line, I think you’d be unhappy with the amount of money spent vs the HP gained.

Next time I have access to a gasser v8 in a van I’ll see if there’s a way you could make a centrifugal supercharger fit in there. Those are usually the smallest packaged way to add boost to a vehicle.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:00 PM   #3

The Whipple twin screw supercharger from the F150 lightning fits. QuadVan did one a long time ago for SEMA. It’s only slightly taller than the stock intake.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:31 PM   #4

I always thought forced induction on a van would be awesome.
ProCharger has a kit for 5.4L 2V that might fit between the radiator and the engine. Would probably need a custom mount bracket at minimum.
https://www.procharger.com/truck-sup...f-150-54-46-2v
Old 09-09-2021, 11:23 PM   #5

Ya know... I love my van, but we regularly talk about "our next truck." The thing is, the #1 thing that it's lacking is horsepower. If it made an honest 300+ hp, there would likely be no more discussion of "our next truck" and if it could be achieved for a couple thousand dollars, I'd be all for it.

I have an early (98) 5.4 and though there are superchargers that might fit (intended for truck applications) they aren't CA smog legal, and that is a deal breaker. From what I've come across, the easiest/most cost effective way to gain any significant power is the put the later P.I. heads on my earlier bottom end and get bigger cams. The internet tells me that pi heads on a non pi bottom end nets you higher compression (in the neighborhood of 10-10.25:1) than a full pi engine. You can still run pump gas just fine with that compression, and it'll let you get away with higher duration without killing bottom end power. I haven't priced out what that might cost, nor looked into what cam profiles would be drop-in for stock pi heads (and still likely to pass smog), but I'm certain you could get a 5.4 to make better power than a stock v10 and cost far less than smog-legal forced induction would... if it exists.

If everything else about your van makes you happy, it's certainly worth looking into.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:01 AM   #6
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Have you considered a tuner? These guys have a great reputation as far as I know and have specific tunes for the vans.

https://5startuning.com/product-cate...ries-4-6l5-4l/

Other mods might be beneficial, but I’d stick to the basics like exhaust and a better flowing air filter or intake if there’s one that fits. Several articles and forum posts point to people adding on some bits and parts like the MAF sensor from the Ford Lightning for some gains too…..but IDK if I’d start down that path.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:12 AM   #7

I'm interested in a forced induction solution for the 5.4 also. If the turbo for the 7.3/6.0 diesel sits on the back of the motor inside the dog house, I'd imagine the same could be done on the gas motor? Might even be able to take advantage of some OEM Ford parts (down pipe, intercooler/brackets etc) in the conversion. I will be the first to admit I am not savvy enough to attempt some thing like this on my own, but would absolutely be interested in a kit if something became available.
ibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:14 AM   #8

What would it take to swap in a V10? I realize a trans swap might accompany this if the trans is a 4R75.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:10 AM   #9
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Initially I'd go with the 5Star Tuning---its a major benefit according to those who've installed one. It's reverisble not all that crazy spendy if it doesn't do the trick. The guys on FTE love 'em, have a whole post thread in one of the Modular Motors sub-forums.

Have a look around at your convenience: https://5startuning.com/

As I ponder adding forced induction causing life expectancy issues in a 2v engine would such a boost also require adding a PCM tune like available from 5Star be necessary?

Also would adding the PI heads and intake to an existing 2V E-Series motor be problematic for the factory-stock strategies supplied with the earlier version heads?

On another note I see the Whipple stuff seems aimed at the 3V & 4V crowd? Would they play nice with any of the 2V variants?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:32 AM   #10

HI 1der, motor mounts complete wiring harness and trans.
Futrmbl is offline   Reply With Quote