Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2010, 05:40 AM   #1

A lot of work on my "new" 2000 quigley

Hello,
I have been looking at sportsmobiles for a couple years now, dreaming about owning one, even better dreaming about building one....Well here we go! Last week I purchased a 2000 E350 4x4 Quigley (should be) 7.3 Diesel with 185000 miles... I was a little hesitant at first because of the higher mileage but I read everywhere that those engines are bulletproof and will last forever...I guess I'll let you know! The van was ordered new by Edison electrical company of Pomona, CA. So it is pretty clean, no rust. The dealer claimed the "fleet maintenance" advantage of the van, but there is no really way to check.. I knew there was some work to be done on the ball joints when i bought it. And after a couple days reading posts on this forum, I took the van to Hubert in Lawndale and they were great. I have never been to this part of town before so I was driving slowly looking everywhere for the place making I didn't drive by....But I couldn't miss the garage with that beautiful huge sportmobile in front of it!! They did a complete check up on the suspension and under carriage of the van, test drove it and gave me a ton of info, all for FREE!! those guys are good. they took a look at the van for 10 sec and knew what to look for. they told me I have to replace my torque arms because I have the older design with the C channel and one is cracked...So we called Quigley for the parts but they don't have any record of the van's VIN....ohohoh, not a good sign. So after a couple days exchanging some emails with Joyce at Quigley and sending some pictures. she was able to tell me everything about my front suspension. The axle is from a 1992 F350, the steering linkage from a 1988 F350 etc etc etc...The Quigley mechanic must be pretty good to identify the parts on pictures!! And best of all, I told Joyce which parts I want to replace and she sent me a whole list of reference numbers with prices!!! GREAT! how easy is that?
I actually found all the parts on rockauto for half price but that was really nice of her.
So after this "short" introduction, I was wondering if anybody would have any recommendations and experience on the parts I will work on. That would be nice to know in advance "to remove that part before this one" or "do it this way ad not that way, you will save 5 hours...."
here is the list:
- changing the torque arms with newer tubular design
- replacing track bar bushings
- replacing entire steering linkage (drag link and tie rod, tie rod ens, sleeves)
- replacing axle seals
- replacing 4 ball joints
- replacing all shocks
- installing a class IV hitch
- installing few other small parts I couldn't resist to buy...too cheap online

Any info will help. Thanks a lot!
(whoa! first post, now I really have a good reason to come on that forum and not just spend 3 hours a day in the random pictures gallery bookmarking photos for ideas on the build!!)

JT

jtolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #2

Re: A lot of work on my "new" 2000 quigley

for the balljoints and steering your gonna need the appropriate press's...the bj (snicker) press is a huge C clamp and "cups"....the steering arms you'll need a "tie rod sepperator" which looks like a big meat fork...

both can be "rented" at your local autoparts stores...dont even attempt to do the BJ (yet again..snicker) without the press...people have hammerd them in before and ruined the new ones...

dont forget to measure your old steering BEFORE you pull it out..incase something breaks..I genneraly set the tires to be 1/4 in closer together at the front centerline of the rim (off the rim at the apex of the circle parrallel to the ground...measure the frontside and the backside..adjust as needed)

the arms will probably take HEAT to gettem loose from the axle..and a big cheater bar...depends on the specific design...

I would soak everything for 3 days in PBBLASTER (not WD40..PB is available at same autoparts stores and will make things MUCH easier!!)....but you may still need a torch to heat up stubborn bolts...

the list ya got would take all day for someone with airtools and experiance...plan a weekend..and have a buddy..prefferably a buddy with a car that can run and get parts...

OH....185K on a 7.3PSD (powerstroke diesel)...its just gotten warmed up!!...they run 300K easy...but make sure you have a BIG transmission cooler...change the oil when ya need..but dont really worry too much about the engine...

85 E250 Turbo 6.9 vegiburner
92 explorer (well the vin tag and body skins are anyway)
09 jeep wrangler unlimted...for walmart wheelin!!

nothing scares my wife like my boredom and a welder!!
wanderer351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:01 AM   #3

PBBlaster, smells great and has that distinctive taste when you get some in your eye!
Old 03-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
PBBlaster, smells great and has that distinctive taste when you get some in your eye!
your using it wrong....

that it does!! nothin like the blaster!

85 E250 Turbo 6.9 vegiburner
92 explorer (well the vin tag and body skins are anyway)
09 jeep wrangler unlimted...for walmart wheelin!!

nothing scares my wife like my boredom and a welder!!
wanderer351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:11 PM   #5

thanks for the tips. I'll definitely try. and yes I will rent the right tools. I might buy the big fork because it looks like a handy tool to have around. But the clamps and puller, I'll rent.
I am planning more than one week end to do it. Getting everything off will be hard I think. And I kept my E150 for right now to run to the store and get more parts or supplies!!
Thanks for the advice
JT
jtolittle is offline   Reply With Quote