Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2015, 02:58 PM   #1

Adding electric windows and door locks

Has anyone added electric door locks or windows to their van. If you did what kit did you use?

hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:05 PM   #2

Re: Adding electric windows and door locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasm
Has anyone added electric door locks or windows to their van. If you did what kit did you use?
I would just go get some salvage yard doors with all that in them and grab the wiring harness as well. Especially if your van is a common color like white. I bet it would be much cheaper and more reliable than an aftermarket type kit.

86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:28 PM   #3

I just used some kind of generic kit for windows and locks.
The window kit replaces the crank with a motor driven gear:

The power locks are just the standard up-down type motors connected to the rods for the door pin.
Both work as they should without problems.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:24 PM   #4

What covers the spline shaft of the window crank
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:58 AM   #5

Garage

^^^ a weird, out of place, little black cap. at least on mine anyway.

i can get a pic once its light out if you really care and wanna see it. we lost one of our caps on the maiden voyage home, the other fell off and has just been kicking around the center console ever since. it will snap back on, but doesnt stay on well. im sure some electrical tape around it would solve that, but ive been too lazy to try it, lol.

not sure of the brand, but it seems to work ok. passenger side rolls up pretty slow when its cold out though. best thing about the kit is the up/down buttons have lights in them, unlike the stocker buttons.

my keyless entry is part of the alarm. brand is auto mate, but the main brain is dei. so same as viper, clifford, etc. works just fine as well. nothing spectacular, but it hasnt left me stranded yet. i have noticed that you have to be right on top of it to unlock doors when your close to radio towers though.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #6

Garage

I just did this on a van and used OEM replacement electric window regulators and aftermarket door lock solenoids. I sourced the factory electric door panels and wire harnesses and made all the switches work with the new power stuff as they should. It requires a bit of work with relays to make the door locks work since they are switched polarity, but the project is definitely worth it in the end. It is worth noting that most of the vans are wired at the kick panel for the power features.

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:28 PM   #7

I recently ordered this kit on ebay for my 05 E350. Unfortunately wont be installing any of it for a couple of months until it gets warmer outside. I live way north and its too cold to be out doing this kinda thing. I plan on taking pics and short videos of the install and how well it functions afterwards. From what ive seen of others installs on youtube, these kits work pretty good. Time will tell but at least it was cheap.
KilrPilr is offline   Reply With Quote