Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #1

Adding propane appliance outlet

I would like to add a propane port to plug in propane (green bottle) stove or bbq outside the van and take advantage of the SMB installed on-board propane system that currently feeds the Suburban hot water system and heater system.

Do I need to add another pressure regulator to what is on the on-board system or should it already be at low pressure for a typical Coleman type twin burner stove? I'm envisioning a quick disconnect somewhere on the passenger side of the van.

Thanks as always for your insight!

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:57 PM   #2

I used a splitter I got on Amazon. Is installed inline of existing propane system, after regulator, and has an extra outlet that you can attche another line to. Can’t immediately find it on amazon, but take a look.

It’s designed for exactly this purpose.

I can try and remember to grab a picture tonight.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:10 PM   #3

Garage
Subscribing.
Interested in the responses you receive pjpvi -

I too have been looking to install similar - been to a couple shops but they all say it cant be done with my current setup because of space issues (original tank install from Sportsmobile just behind the drivers door). I'm not convinced this is completely true, think the resolve is depreciated by ingenuity/tallent issues. Hoping someone here comes across with a suggestion i can plagiarize
Old 01-08-2019, 03:19 PM   #4

Here you go: goes inline in stock system with top exit for flexible line.. then get a 20’ flexible line or whatever you need and you’re good to go..

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-59125-P...co+59125&psc=1
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:26 PM   #5

That looks simple. I would like to see a picture of your installation when you get a chance. I was going to splice something into the hardline under the van before it goes up to the water / air heaters. This looks easier although it puts the outlet on the opposite side of the van that I want.

Thanks!

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:26 PM   #6
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Adding propane appliance outlet

Also called stay-longer or extend-a-stay, propane 4 port tee....
There are 3 port ones too. Install is easy, it goes between the tank and the regulator, you will have to sneak the regulator back a bit being carefuI not to kink the copper line. I had used a 5’ and a 20’ hose connected together to run under the van to the other side. Depends on what stove/grill you’re running whether you’ll need to use a separate regulator, if it came with one use it. Coleman gas stoves are usually direct plug, no regulator needed. Gas grills usually need a regulator. High pressure vs. low pressure.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #7

Interesting idea. I'm thinking of tapping into the existing system to add a hookup for an Olympian Wave 3 heater. I only have propane for the cooktop and was thinking that perhaps I could T from there, but I was also wondering about whether I needed an additional regulator. Anyone done this kind of thing?
Klompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:40 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Also called stay-longer or extend-a-stay, propane 4 port tee.... Install is easy, it goes between the tank and the regulator, you will have to sneak the regulator back a bit being careful not to kink the copper line.
REF,
If you have an opportunity, would you mind attaching a picture of how you tapped into your system. I've looked through catalogs of fittings with different shops, but none will work unless i remove the Propane door, or move the tank. I'm just assuming yours is set up similar to mine, a Pic would clarify for me. Thank you.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:59 PM   #9
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Sorry, no can do, I’ve removed my entire propane system. If you follow the amazon link from above and take a look at the piece, you should be able to see how it goes in. One side gets screwed into the tank output, the other side gets screwed into the regulator. Yes, you will have to remove the regulator cover, manipulate the copper line to move the regulator back to make room for the new piece. If you’re not comfortable doing this, most RV dealerships/shops should be able to.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:32 AM   #10

Garage
Hi Phil,

Here are a couple of pics of the setup I'm running on my Express. I don't know if the Ford vans have the same space or not, but this is a pretty tight area to work in, and the RV place I take it to had no problem doing the install. They ran a second hard line under the van to the passenger side, where I have the quick-connect for the grill located. It works great, although the grill I had didn't work very well and I haven't used it in a while. I plan on getting a better grill (Weber?) to use instead.

Let me know if these pics help and if you need any other shots.

Thanks,

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4902.jpg   IMG_4903.jpg  
capnkurt is offline   Reply With Quote