Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2018, 07:31 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I'd get the bulletproofing done first. Then I'd call Aluminess. Then I'd call John at Agile.

Let me fix this:

call the Bank/wife first and get additional finances pre-authorized, then I'd get the bulletproofing done first. Then I'd call Aluminess. Then I'd call John at Agile.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:37 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Let me fix this:

call the Bank/wife first and get additional finances pre-authorized, then I'd get the bulletproofing done first. Then I'd call Aluminess. Then I'd call John at Agile.

I call that a "pearl of wisdom"....

jdkh2001 - Nice Rig!

I spent about 6 months on this Forum prior to my first SMB purchase and thought i had everything figured out. Unfortunately, i also uncovered a lot of useful info after I had some upgrades and work completed, had I know earlier I would have included in some of the work I had done...live an learn!

Sounds like you know what you want, Would encourage you also to put some "extra" thought into some of your projects.

Examples:
Coolant & Oil temps may increase once you install a front Aluminess bumper
***Certainly would invest in something like a Scan gauge to regularly monitor critical temps - if you do this first then you'll have a base-line for comparison

If your contemplating 6.0 bulletproofing then you may want to consider:
1. Mishimoto low temp thermostat since Techs will already have access.
2. May consider upgrading to a larger trans cooler (again, if your going into the engine)
3. The fact your Rig is already 10yrs old, may consider replacing some of the other engine parts like fan clutch, high output Alternator, hoses, etc
4. install a coolant filter

If you install the rear Amuminess Box, consider adding the bike rack option (if you already havent) - would serve well for carrying some of your cargo

Solar on the roof is only effective when it has exposure, and yet most of us park in a shaded area if possible. So if your considering putting a couple panels on a roof rack, I would also leave a hook-up for an auxiliary panel (one with a 50 or 75ft cable that you can position in the sun...I recently did this and have found it to be one of the most effective upgrades I've invested in)

As mentioned, Lot of good info on many of the treads here - the search function is your friend.

Your going to have a lot of fun with your new toy!
Old 07-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #13

That is some of the best info I have received. Thank you for the very helpful info.
Jdkh2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:46 PM   #14

Garage
I was clearing out some "old" electronic files and came across this - so thought i would share it with you - the info on this tread provided some good insight on the diesel motor maintenance & bulletproofing.

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...-6-0l-psd.html

I eventually learned more from the Threads on this Forum, and the invaluable practical knowledge shared by the members.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:48 AM   #15

Location: Rolling Hills, Mammoth Mountain, Coeur d Alene Idaho
Very nice van!
I have a Sportsmobile and wish I had the coil over front but Fox shocks have helped quite a bit.
Good advice to get a Fan clutch as mine went out early.
Also my brake booster just went out definitely get one of those and also you might replace the EGR.
So far it's been very reliable. I've changed the coolant a few times and am vigilant about oil and filter maintenance.
I'd get a scan gauge to monitor temps and rethink the Aluminess front bumper mine blocks air flow and the PSD's run hot.
I'm hesitant to bolt on after market parts to the van as I think they were intended for the pick ups and the van has a docile tune in comparison that being said anything that reduces temps to the trans or engine is a good idea.
I owned a early F350 PSD pickup and it ate a few turbos but we also weren't as careful to cool it after long runs which might have contributed to the problems.
I've never had to use the winch you might consider lockers in the rear if you plan to really get out there but I've spent a lot of time in the snow and have had no problems with traction . Sometimes I chain up for fun and that makes it a real beast!
Your ski trip plans sound awesome and I'm sure you will look back on them as some of the best times of your life! I do.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:16 PM   #16

SMB forum is awesome

Hey I so appreciat how cool you are to share such awesome advice and suggestions from your personal experience. It is such a huge help for those of us new to SMB. One day I’ll know enough to do the same.
Jdkh2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #17

Dude CONGRATS!!! I'm in the Springs and Ive got a little home built rig I get into the hills quite often with, we should link up and get after it! Also if you need engine work consider Dirt Road Diesel here in the Springs, they are amazing mechanics and straight shooters. Since Ive been buying my own rig over the years I may have resources for mods and add ons here locally, just let me know if I can be a help.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:41 AM   #18

Also I have a sinister diesel coolant filter system I don't need if you're ever looking in that direction. And some pop out windows and such... but your rig may have those already.

Tags
awning, bumper, roof rack