Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: aftermarket bumper questions.

I was told by a pretty trust worthy source that to use my winch to its potential I need to weld up those crumple zones with a couple plates and was told I could bring it by but have not done so yet.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry
I was told by a pretty trust worthy source that to use my winch to its potential I need to weld up those crumple zones with a couple plates and was told I could bring it by but have not done so yet.
It won't matter for straight pulls but it can matter for side pulls. My buckstop came with a couple stout brackets to add some triangulation between the frame and bumper. QuadVan has a skidplate they install when the mount winches in stock bumpers.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #13

Garage

well apparently the world didnt end...well i guess it still could today, but hopefully i get my christmas bonus first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast
I need to start my Rear Bumper/Hitch/Swingaway Build thread, so you guys can see what I'm up to...
most definitly! custom builds are my favorite kinda threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry
i was thinking about that too. would you really have to weld it up, or could you just bolt some good sturdy flatbrackets the length of the corigated crumple zone area so it was reversable instead? that would really suck to jack up your frame pulling someone or yourself out of a mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
It won't matter for straight pulls but it can matter for side pulls. My buckstop came with a couple stout brackets to add some triangulation between the frame and bumper. QuadVan has a skidplate they install when the mount winches in stock bumpers.
were the brackets your bumper came with a bolt on kinda deal? and do I assume that the quadvan skidplate bolts on in a way that would keep the crumplezones from being compressed in a tough pull?

and speaking of winches, what size/brand do you guys use/recommend? I had a 8k warn on my toyota for a while and had really good luck with it, but havent shopped around for anything like that in 10+ years.

appreciate all the info gents
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #14

Yes, the brackets that came with the bumper are bolt on. I actually didn't even install the until I added the winch. It's basically just some 1/2" plate which ties the bumper to the area behind the crumple zone. But the way it mounts at an angle, it should still allow the crumple zone to work in a crash.

The QuadVan skidplate has some angled slots cut into it to still allow the crumple zone to work in a crash. But it essentially ties the ends of the crumple zone diagonally, to allow for side loads.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #15

BTW - I wouldn't get too hung up about the crumple zone. The F250+ pickups don't even have one.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #16

Quote:
BTW - I wouldn't get too hung up about the crumple zone. The F250+ pickups don't even have one.
8500lb vehicle's Crumple zone = the other car!
Old 12-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast
Quote:
8500lb vehicle's Crumple zone = the other car!
Exactly. Plus, my loaded weight can approach 26,000 so if my crumple zone is a little stiffer it's probably for the better.