Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2015, 02:31 AM   #1

Aftermarket parking sensors

I picked up a cheap kit with 8 sensors, a processor and a simple display. Tonight I got the back sensors in place and three of them (save the one where I extended the coax wire a little) are working. I have not spent any time trying to figure out why the extended sensor is not working (likely a poor splice job, it is coax after all), so it may not be a write off.

So far this seems really promising. I'm a little surprised that I have not seen anyone else bring this up here. The kits are really quite cheap at this point. Cheap enough that I suspect $ cost (as opposed to time cost) is likely irrelevant to most folks here.

As I said, initial testing seems really promising. I still need to do all the interior wiring correctly (though I have a back-up camera that I set up to come on in reverse, or with an explicit override switch, so I'll mostly tap into that). I'm posting here since this may be interesting, and if anyone has done this before on a van, they may have learned some things that might be worth sharing.

Drilling the chrome step bumper in back did require a proper bimetal hole saw. The one included in the kit was destroyed by the bumper in short order. It was clearly meant for plastic only.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:25 AM   #2

Re: Aftermarket parking sensors

Interesting in hearing more about your experiences with this. I've thought of adding them, but the hassle factor seemed high. I probably should have done it last spring when I ran a new backup camera's wiring up front.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:26 PM   #3

Garage

Have a link to the kit you used?
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:58 AM   #4

I have the rear ones working at this point.

The kit I used is the LH-811C one here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YE9 ... ge_o01_s00

Edit: These seem to have good resolution close up, much better than the ones on a '14 3 series. The ones on the 3 series however have about twice the range. In both cases, the ideal setup for the other vehicle.

It'll need to figure something out to make sure the beeping happens every time I turn on the car, but can be cancelled (until I reverse again), and perhaps something to auto-mute past certain speeds. I'll have to see how it works out in the real world once I have the front ones wired up as well.

I initially thought that I should have done them when I did the rear camera, but the camera goes in the door and these things are in the bumper, wiring ends up running differently regardless. It's a lot of wiring. Much more than a rear view camera.

Splicing the coax with twisted pair seems to have worked fine. My previous splice was shorted somehow.

I'll follow up with some pictures, but I'm happy enough with the install. The sensors are not all at the same height because they need to be at the point that's furthest out. Once you see how dented my (OEM step) bumper is you'll know why I'm doing this work.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:59 AM   #5

Here are some pictures:

Old 09-30-2015, 01:02 AM   #6

The display is just sitting there for now, I'll have to see where I want it long term, but being able to look at it and the rear screen at once seems useful.

The rear door was open and I had a camping chair propped up to trigger the sensor. So the image on the screen is confusing because it's not showing the obstacle.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:40 PM   #7

Nobbie and Redoval just installed aftermarket sensors on Nobbie's van.......don't know how well they work......
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:12 AM   #8

Great description of the product on Amazon:

Provide 8 sensitive ultrasonic sensors, ensures your traffic security omnibearingly
Bi-bi warning tone alerts you section by section according different distance, closer the distance is, the alarm sound is shorter and rapider.
Accuracy of obstacle distance can reach to centimeter.
The sensor color is same as the car, like the original part.
Self-inspection system can automatically check abnormal condition itself, avoiding reversing collision due to damaged sensors.
sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrimm
Great description of the product on Amazon:
The installation manual was clearly written by the same person.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:45 AM   #10

well.....their English is better than my Chinese....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote