Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2021, 12:23 PM   #11

Thanks so much for the info. I think the cheapest/easiest solution is to replace the spring with the larger Moog coils.

rogers112869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:13 PM   #12

I ended up buying and putting on the Moog CC880S. Big diff. I gained 1.25" in travel plus a stiffer spring. Went over speed bump with no problem plus handled a bit tighter in turns...happy with the results.

Next question, whats the best route to increase the rear height to level out and to soften its ride? Spring helpers like Sumos?
Old 01-28-2021, 08:25 AM   #13
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
What’s the rear setup now? Photos would help if you’re not sure or will tell us if it’s been modified, SMB’s of your(our) era with the Quigley 4X4 ran stock springs sitting on 3 1/2” blocks, not great, and yours are prob pretty tired by now. Hate to say but your best route would be to get a new spring pack made by Deaver or Alcan and eliminate the rear blocks. You can compensate for your increased ride height up front at the same time.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:59 AM   #14

What is the biggest advantage to doing all new Deaver springs vs add a leafs? Agile typically does the add a leafs if I'm not mistaken. My rear leafs are basically flat at this point so am trying to figure out the best option.
Oly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:38 PM   #15
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Air bag or not?

I think much of it comes down to price point. Agile came up with a viable solution that covers and addresses a common issue that’s somewhat more accessible to more people.
In the end, it depends on the overall condition of your spring pack. A helper spring will improve the ride and sag only to a point, Agile has also spec’d and installed new spring packs for customers wanting to go that route.
Remember, the original spring pack was not engineered for the weight of a fully built out or heavy 4X4 conversion van sometimes weighing in at close to 10K lbs, putting the same spring pack up on a 3.5” block doesn’t change that. A new spring pack is purposely built to the height and weight specs.
That being said, I had Deaver springs made for me years ago, but since we’re now towing a travel trailer full time, I had to add a set of bags to help out the rear end.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:05 AM   #16

REF - see the current leaf springs. They look pretty flat.
Old 02-02-2021, 03:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oly11 View Post
What is the biggest advantage to doing all new Deaver springs vs add a leafs? Agile typically does the add a leafs if I'm not mistaken. My rear leafs are basically flat at this point so am trying to figure out the best option.
Another advantage of a new leaf pack is that old, tired leaf springs have been known to break and can leave you stranded. It's not too common, but it does happen. Its kind of hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like your leaf's may be sagging around the lift block, indicating they are pretty worn. Adding a leaf will certainly increase the spring rate a bit, but you still have old sagging springs. New springs can be arched to provide you the desired lift and spring rate without the lift blocks. The blocks greatly increase axle wrap, which reduces traction in soft conditions. With new springs you would also have to fabricate a new bump stop if you removed the lift block since the landing pad is welded to the block.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote