Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2017, 06:55 PM   #1

Aluminess Generator Storage

I have put a deposit down on a new SMB Mercedes 4x4, 144” wheelbase, from SMB in Fresno. Now I deal with the *long* waiting game.

One of the things I’m having installed is the Aluminess rear bumper with the swingaway spare tire and box for my portable generator. I prefer to use the generator without removing it from the box. Has anyone modified the box or purchased a different box to allow the generator to hooked up and used right from that location? Perhaps with ventilation, perhaps on a slide-out?

itsallgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Eric (86Scotty) has done something similar. A search should find his solution.

Herb
Old 10-10-2017, 07:21 PM   #3
tlg

Garage
Be curious to hear fm 86Scotty how he liked that set up from a noise and vibration perspective. We carry a Honda 2000i but unload it fm the box to run (mainly for A/C). It doesn't run in Eco mode when the A/C is cycling and can be quite loud if the top is up. If I was just running it to top off the batteries would leave it in the box.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #4

I will be getting a high top; no penthouse. Hadn’t thought about vibration, But I guess that needs to be addressed as well as ventilation which is what I was wondering about. I currently have a Pleasure-Way Ascent with an on-board Onan propane generator, so I’m quite used to noise. I am expecting the Honda 2000i to be much quieter. I expect to use it mostly to power my A/C.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:49 PM   #5
MSD

Garage
Honda 2000iu is 52db in eco mode, not sure what it is when it kicks out for more power. I use mine a lot & have used it on a off grid cabin I have... I made a generator shed & put rubber horse mat down to help with vibration this might work for you application, but honestly I think it will generate to much heat in the aluminess box even with ventilation. But I guess it comes down to how long it will be running & what you'll be powering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:23 PM   #6

I would suspect running the generator in the Box would create a lot of heat as mention and to release the heat you would basically make that box swiss cheese. Therefore eliminating the strength, security and longevity. And if you got that many holes in it sound deadening would be nearly impossible... What to do?
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:37 PM   #7

Yeah, agree Rob. But I’ve got a l o n g time to figure it out. I saw this image on-line - seems to be an Aluminess product, and appears to show the generator working inside the box. I’ll have to do more research. [first time posting pic on a post, seems not to be working - anyway it looks like a vented box with an exhaust pipe sticking out]
Attached Thumbnails
31C4F00E-64F1-43EE-B64A-D4E9AC391A7E.jpg  
Old 10-10-2017, 09:43 PM   #8

Heat is not an issue since the Honda unit is so well engineered. I didn't find it to be a problem with my box at all BUT.........vibration and noise are a huge issue! In retrospect they basically ruin the idea of this whole setup. I think a Honda, or any other generator, need to be off away from camp with a long (50'?) extension cord. That way they are silent and the result is deal. I ran the mounted Honda generator on two vans. It is no doubt the quietest one with the least vibration/noise and vibration was bad on both. If you are the type who likes ambient noise to drown out everything else so you can sleep you might like this setup. That mostly describes me but the vibration was still too much.
This setup is completely relative so you almost have to try it to see if it works for you. After much thought I think a solid inverter used while idling the van is a better idea for microwave or heavy AC power use. Off grid air conditioning is elusive.

Also, I had the good fortune to do some testing on another forum member's SMB with a mounted Onan generator with Starcool. Same result. Way too much vibration and noise to use long term. Generators on a big RV work fine but on a smaller van they are overkill.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #9

Just a thought about the drop down doors on these boxes -
Consider the effort, twist and strain lifting and reaching over the door, likely from the side. The side hinges are far more practical. imho
Old 10-11-2017, 10:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Just a thought about the drop down doors on these boxes -
Consider the effort, twist and strain lifting and reaching over the door, likely from the side. The side hinges are far more practical. imho
True. Even better to find something like this perhaps:
Attached Thumbnails
F72B6F49-447E-4832-9840-4317CAEECFF8.jpeg